Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ipod Classic from the U.S?

Options
  • 26-09-2007 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭

If I got someone to pick up an iPod classic for me in the states, there would be no problem using it here would there? It only comes with a usb cable now, not a plug so that wouldn't make any difference. And I take it the connection on the new ipods is the same as the old ones, so I can use the usb cable and wall plug from my 5.5gen 80G ipod?

cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭Doodee

the only difference would be the plug for the Ipod, which would be 110v 2 pronged as opposed to 240v 3 pronged European plug.

Apart from that everything else is the same, this includes Apple computers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

But considering that you don't get a plug with ipod's since generation 4 (ipod photo) that won't matter :p.

OP yes there's no problems at all. i have an 80gig (non-classic) ipod bought when i was in boston last may, not a problem from it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭segasega

But if I plug the U.S iPod in with a E.U plug it wont ruin cause of the higher voltage?

no.

because basically this is the way the plug is set up.

you have your usb cable to connect your ipod to the pc, well that same cable plugs into the power supply plug (be it EU/Irish/US/etc.) and then you plug it into the wall, the power supply takes care of the voltage.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭segasega

Just heard from someone that customs like to check peoples bags around sept-dec for goods they are taking back home that they haven't paid customs on. This might be a problem as the whole point of buying it over there is because its cheap! Although airlines advertise about going to NY for your xmas shopping, there's a big crack down on it now! The person even said they'd go as far as searching through your non-hand luggage.

• Advertisement

You may have to pay customs yes. in fact there's a fine if you walk through the "nothing to declare" aisle and are spot checked.

in my experience (been to america about 10 times) i've never been checked, it seems that most american flights land at god forsaken hours like 5am etc. so there's either no customs officer there or they are asleep on their feet.

there's some obvious tips that can help you avoid customs, but boards.ie frowns upon helping people evade tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

Surely they cant charge tax if you dont take a receipt home and just say you brought it with you?

BTW how much is the 80gb in the US o A/?

80gig: $249.
    160gig: $349.

absolute steal at them prices and with the dollar currently what it is (think it's €1=$1.41) you'd be mad not to tbh.

even if they don't run rockbox i'd put up with itunes if i could get an 80 gig player for ~180euros.

Advertisement