Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Climbing Rope/Gear

Options
  • 26-09-2007 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Hi all,

Would anyone have any recommendations on where I could buy some climbing rope, maybe 50m 8-10mm single rope? I know TGO do them but as always they're a little pricey, just looking to practise some rock climbing maybe in Gym or out in Dalkey, I'm no expert so don't need any fancy stuff.
    Also gear like a couple of crabs, belay device, slings etc. Also anyone know anything about self belaying, just in case y buddy can't make it and I'm jonesing for a climb!

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I would say that self-belaying is an advanced climbing technique and not something I'd recommend unless you were an expert. That being said its up to you, if you really want to do it buy a good climbing book and learn. Remember though, if you sketch out on a climb there's only you to get you down. If you're injured, again, you're on your own.

There's always bouldering as a safe(ish) alternative.

I'd ask as the forum moderator that everybody leaves the self belaying at that. If anybody is unhappy about this have a read of the forum charter, 8th point down.

For cheap gear www.barrabes.com are a good start, try them. The deliver via DHL so you have to be at the delivery address during office hours. I don't know of an 8mm single rope, I do know of an 9mm and its very expensive. 9.8mm is still pretty slim for a single and easy enough on the wallet.

You could also join the MCI and get a 10% discount in TGO, it makes their prices more reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭peter-pantslez

try www.backcountry.com or www.snowandrock.com for gear a few of my mates got gear of them and said they are good..............

about time i found someone on hear talking about climbing:D

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Dantes

Ok, thanks lads. Didn't mean to cause any mayhem with the self belaying bit, I was just curious about it or if anyone on here does it.
    Will def check out those websites. Can anyone here recommend a course on rock climbing that would cover some climbs in Dalkey quarry so I could get to know that place? Never climbed there before.
    Good to hear another climber here, never seen any questions any rock climbing either! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Bren Whelan does courses in Dalkey: http://www.mountaintraining.ie/ but it might be a bit late in the year. The Irish Mountaineering Club do training at the start of the year for beginneers, that's finished now but were a friendly bunch and new people are always welcome. You could always do a winter mountaineering course, that would be cool.

If you don't find a course, or even if you do, buy the guide book and ask any questions you have here or over on www.climbing.ie. Or even just ask people in the quarry, most people will gladly help you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Dantes

Thanks a mill for the info Phil. I will definitely be doing one of those courses next year when it becomes available.

• Advertisement
Advertisement