Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Optical Adapter/Converter??

Options
  • 26-09-2007 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭

I have Technics DVD 5 speaker system, with Dolby Digital&DTS and wanted to connect it to my PS3. Theres no optical output on the Hi Fi, only RCA, is there any way around this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Homer

You say there's no optical output on your Technics system??
    Surely it's an input you want to connect up your PS3?
    What is the model number of your Technics system it may help us to find out the connections on the back of it?
    Really as you are aware it is an optical input you are looking for from the pS3 to the technics system.
    Is ther a coaxial digital input instead?
    If so you could use on of these to convert from optical to digital coaxial
    http://www.uniqueproductsonline.com/tooptococodi.html
    Hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭RastaRed

Its a Technics SCDV290, pretty useless at this stuff so any help is much appreciated

OK, so from the limited information I can find on the web regarding the inputs/outputs on your system it looks like bad news i'm afraid!

Connector Type : 1 x headphones ( mini-phone stereo 3.5 mm ) - front 2 x audio line-in ( RCA phono x 2 ) - rear 1 x audio line-out ( RCA phono x 2 ) - rear 1 x composite video output ( RCA phono ) - rear 1 x S-Video output ( 4 PIN mini-DIN ) - rear 1 x AM antenna ( click-fit x 2 ) - rear 1 x FM antenna ( IEC connector ) - rear

From the info I have it seems there is NO optical or coaxial digital inputs on the system?!
    The only way you could connect your PS3 would be in "analog" which would not give you dolby digital or DTS... AND you'd have to connect it through the front of the unit!
    Sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭RastaRed

Ah well, Thanks for checking that out for me anyway.
    Have it connected to Samsung LCD through rca leads, sound is ok but think I might try sell it and get proper digital 5.1 system, have sky hd aswell as PS3, shame not having 5.1. Any recommendations where I could sell my hi fi?

The usual suspects.. ebay, buy and sell, etc. etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭guest

I used to work in Dixons and hands down, the DV290 beat out any competition in terms of sound quality. Personally I would just keep the system. Alot of digital surround sound systems may seem superior, but unless you're willing to shell out at least a grand, the speakers won't even come NEAR the quality of the Technics ones.

You'll still get surround sound. Yeah it might be analogue but it's still high quality performance, as compared to the majority of systems with those itsy bitsy satellite speakers.

Advertisement