Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB took 400 from my gf randomly!

Options
  • 26-09-2007 7:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭

Hi,

My gf rang me in a terrible state saying ESB debited her ~400 euros.

We live together, she pays Bord Gais, i pay the ESB right - both direct debit.

Turns out ESB took a security deposit, as someone must have setup an account with her laser card details!

She's been onto her bank to reverse this payment and obvisiously onto esb who can do nothing apparently.

She's also been to the Financial Regulator who said it's up to the bank to pay her back and it's for them then to fight it out with the ESB.

She's been told to wait 10 days as that's the usual lead time on things like this, is this true? will or can anything be done to get her money back?

She's also been told to report this to the garda's, what would be the best way to report this, i can only imagine blank stares explaining it to a plain old garda up to his eyes with scangers, is there a fraud squad type lads at all?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Thought the security deposit was €150. Has your gf had a bill in her name before? Maybe there were problems so the ESB want a larger deposit.

Either way I wouldn't report to the gardai, most likely an innocent mistake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭sparkyjo

usually the esb are very good at giving refunds but realisticaly they should be able to give your girlfriend information on what house it was set up on as it is her card and they also should not be able to debit you account with out writen permission i would have thought and if they do give you the information of what house it on then go straight to the police and your bank will give you your money back as that is why you pay insurance to your bank

good luck i hope you get it back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭nads

hi thanks,
    she hasn't had an esb account i reckon in the last good few years, esb can only confirm it's in relation to a newly created account and she can't find anything without the account number, even tho her name and details are on their books (falsely).

cheers for the replies

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭fatboypee

E.S.B = Extra Special Bast***rds.

Had a similar problem with my metre reading. Assumed (albeit naievely) that esitmates would equal themselves out over the year after the readings, until I got one huge fook-off bill for 850 euro that they were gonig to debit from my account.

Called them, they explained my metre had not been read for a year :eek: due to the guy who normally read my area had died, so they now wanted the money. I asked if they could split the direct debit over a period of time and they said NO :mad:

Upshot is I'm no longer on Direct Debit and boy, am I waiting for the day when there is a bit of decent regulatory competition in the market, I'll be off like a hot-snot...

Bunch of wastrel t0ssers in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

sounds to me ur g/fs card has been cloned or at the very least someone has got the info from her card. report to the guards immediately. the ordinary guard takes a statement from her and forwards to the crime unit. lastly if her card has been cloned tell her she must empty her account completely and open another one. i know of several ppl who have had their cards cloned and the bank cancels the card but the thieves are still able to withdraw money from the injured parties account. at the end of the day the bank will probably refund her the money but she doesn't need the hassle of someone taking out her wages very week or so.

• Advertisement
Advertisement