Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Consumer decision - to iPod or not to iPod

Options
  • 26-09-2007 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭

ok so as i stated in the creative zen thread, my vision:m went kaput. friday is payday and right now the iPod Classic (80GB) is the best on offer from what i can see.

before i make this earth shattering purchase (i swore never to buy an iPod, let alone anything from Apple) is there any other good MP3 players out there? keep in mind i don't use video and whatnot. all i want is capacity, sound quality and good functionality... but no cheapo brands (not taking that risk).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I've never owned an iPod. But from what I can see, you can't seem to go wrong with getting a compatible iPod and Rockboxing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Well if you don't need video, what's wrong with an iPod?? When i was getting mine i was thinking about the iPod, but went with an Archos for it's video functionality...

But for a simple, easy-to-use straight music player, can you do better than an iPod??

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

ipod classic is amazing. buy it now. 160gig wud be amazing. i got the 80gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭segasega

I have had my 80G (G5.5) iPod for nearly a year now and never had trouble with it. The battery life on them is great now and if your just listening to music it will last ofr days without a change. And for only €250 for the Classic 80G I think the decision can make its self!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

I just bought a brand new 80GB Ipod video off a good seller on eBay. He marked as a gift/$30 contents value for obvious reasons. I paid €204 in total including postage. Here's his ID. Highly recommended.

http://myworld.ebay.com/sevpc1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Skittlebrau

I'm in the same quandry. Always said I'd never get an IPod but the value of the 80 and 160 GB ones now is too good to turn down.

If only I hadn't dropped my IRiver I wouldn't be in this situation :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

so it seems the classic is pretty much available nowhere in Dublin stores frustratingly, so i ordered from the apple online store, where i got free engraving etc.

the whole "we'll text you when we ship" thing is pretty damn cool. if the ipod is as friendly as their site they may have a new apple convert...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

there's no doubt ipod's have the sleekest design and piss easy controls, what lets the ipod down is it's software that's not to say it's bad but with rockbox it is so much better.

i'd like to see a new classic in the flesh as supposidly (sp) they are all metal which sounds cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Moorsie

... the archos 404 and a 20GB IPOD photo as they were called back then.

I find the IPOD far easier to use for music. If you were an IPOD user and used the Itunes Store it is impossible (I think) to get music purchased on Itunes to play on the Archos (drm security issue). The Archos also needs a download at €20 to play AAC files. Recently put Interpols new album on both. For some reason the sound level for me wasn't adequate on the Archos compared to the IPOD. Now that may be down to something I did when ripping but I'm not too sure.

Archos is great for video and I would recommend the DVR dock ( which I got for half price when buying the Archos ). Easy to record straight off the TV or DVD player. Much bigger screen on the ARCHOS and it will play Itunes video files ( again needs a download at €20 ).

If music is your thing I don't think you can beat the IPOD and if Video is your thing I don't think you can beat the ARCHOS.

Hope that is some help.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Moorsie wrote:
    I find the IPOD far easier to use for music. If you were an IPOD user and used the Itunes Store it is impossible (I think) to get music purchased on Itunes to play on the Archos (drm security issue).

<snip>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

as much as i dislike DRM on files, it's there for a reason - much like import/customs duty on purchases outside the EU - for it, i don't want boards to get into trouble over how DRM can be circumvented, as you can see i edited your post because of this.

perhaps i should update the charter on this as it hasn't been pointed out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

The chances of Rockbox existing on any iPod newer than the 2G Nano is very slim, due to new encryption or something used in all the new firmware. The people making Rockbox say it's as good as never going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Can't go wrong with the 80 GB iPod... I picked up one a few weeks ago while I was in the states... Price and capacity did it for me.

No issues so far. User friendly and the sound is decent.

I'd been using an I-River H120 model for a few years before that, so this was my first real dive into the apple world.

Sound quality I thought was slightly better on I-River and you could set your own sound equaliser, which you can't seem to do on iPod... Other than that, its a winner....

If you know someone going to the states, you can get the 80 GB model for $249, yes thats dollars!!!! €175!!!!

160 GB model is $349, which is about €250

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

got my iPod in the post last night. came 2 days after ordering (not including the weekend) by DHL with stuff engraved in the back plate... all for the same price as buying it in the stores.

my only complaint right now is iTunes and the lack of support for explorer-like UI... though that could be down to me being so used to Creative software

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

There's many alternatives to iTunes for transferring music to your iPod. I dunno what's good now though (never had one myself).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

The chances of Rockbox existing on any iPod newer than the 2G Nano is very slim, due to new encryption or something used in all the new firmware. The people making Rockbox say it's as good as never going to happen.

This is the deciding factor for me. I reeeally want 160GB of storage, and it's a great price too, especially if you get it in the US:eek: But I'm just not sure if I want to trade my rockboxed H140 without having rockbox on the iPod, the minute Rockbox is compatible with the 160GB classic, I'll buy it. I've been keeping a close eye on the rockbox forums and so far it seems unlikely and if it is possible, it wont be happening any time soon :(

iRiver are supposed to be releasing a new line up soon though so fingers crossed for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Sorry for my newbie reply but I'm lookign t the 160gig ipod too and am wondering do I really need to have the 160 gigs of goodies on my pc everytime I connect it ? otherwise it'll 'update' (delete) my ipod content ?

Or is that why people use Rockbox ...?
    Cheers

Rockbox adds plug and play to your iPod so no need for that sync crapology. As well as plug and play it adds file tree, gapless, crossfading, custom EQ, custom playlists, custom everything! But it's not available on the 160GB yet :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Great thanks cormie

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

the user interface on rockbox sucks.

• Advertisement

faceman wrote:
    the user interface on rockbox sucks.

I think it's fine, it may not be as simple as it could be, but it's very functional and only takes 10 mins of messing about to get used to. It's also improved recently. If you arrange your albums well like:

Albums>
    #-F
    G-M
    N-S
    T-Z

Albums/#-F>
    12 Rods
    Adam Cohen
    Air

Albums/#-F/Air>
    Talkie Walkie
    The Virgin Suicides

Albums/#-F/Air/The Virgin Suicides>
    01-Track 1
    02-Track 2

it's pretty simple and once you get used to it, you're in control of the best firmware available for a DAP :)

i had it on my old ipod and tried to stick to it for a week but its features were of no extra benefit to me for my ipod listening habits and i found the ipod interface easier to use so i removed it from my ipod in the end.

to be fair to apple, i always liked the user interface and scroll wheel

faceman wrote:
    i had it on my old ipod and tried to stick to it for a week but its features were of no extra benefit to me for my ipod listening habits and i found the ipod interface easier to use so i removed it from my ipod in the end.

to be fair to apple, i always liked the user interface and scroll wheel

The wheel is a big put off for me to, I like buttons:) I like to be able to control something when it's in my pocket or if I'm driving and looking at the road, you can't do this with the click wheel as you have to be constantly looking at it, you can't just press up or down to go up or down to another album for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

The user interface in Rockbox is entirely customisable.....

Advertisement