Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Issue

Options
  • 25-09-2007 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine purchased Two Sony Playstation Portables the weekend that tesco where doing the 50% back in the november clubcard mailing, When she returned home from shopping she realiesed that one of the boxes was missing some contents, a memory card, headphones and manual book.

The next day she went to her local tesco store (not the same store were purchased) and explained to the manager what had happened, he said he could not offer a refund / exchange because it was not the store she bought it from and he advised her to ring the store and hae them find the missing items & either forward them onto the local store internaly or indeed have them posted directly to her home. She said she will try and get them found and have them posted, the girl in customer care said she was unable to find them and was unable to offer a refund and advised my friend ring head office..

my friend so annoyed with all of this Rang had office and explained the situation and the girl took down the details and said she would get back to her. 2 days had passed and no sign of anyone to call back so she gave them another try, same thing the girl said she would call back that day and never did. so again today over a week later since last speaking with the office she phoned again this been her 3rd time when they eventualy ansered the phone after letting it continuasly ring for 15minits she was greated with a hello this office is closed please call back between the hours of am - 5.30pm.

They seem to be drop dead lazy at ansering phones and if its anyway near half 5 they simply dont bother to anser and switch on the ansering machine! has anybody else had any simulat issus when ringing head office or is it just me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Seems fair to me.
    Go back to the store where it was bought.

And before you say it's miles away, I don't see why the local Tesco store have to deal with this complaint. They did nothing wrong.

Not being harsh OP, just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭spongbob

she said she was going to take it back but 1 st she would speak to the manager in her local store, it was he who advised her about ringing the store and have them find the missing contents... It was then the customer servise staff from the "store where purchased" said there would be no refund made cause she she should have examined the box prior to leaving the shop!

so annoyed as she hearing that said decided to phone head office and so far she looks to be getting nowhere.

the shop in Q is in carlow, she lives in rosscommon. about 80miles each way of a drive.. ouch!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

spongbob wrote:
    It was then the customer servise staff from the "store where purchased" said there would be no refund made cause she she should have examined the box prior to leaving the shop!

That's absolute nonsense, she's entitled to a refund under the law. Tell her to tell them that, under the sale of goods and supply of services act 1980 she's entitled to a replacement or a refund. if she outlines her rights to the store she bought it from, they'll be a lot more helpful

i will be seeing her later she will be delighted to hear that!

thanks for your help

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Dan133269 wrote:
    That's absolute nonsense, she's entitled to a refund under the law. Tell her to tell them that, under the sale of goods and supply of services act 1980 she's entitled to a replacement or a refund. if she outlines her rights to the store she bought it from, they'll be a lot more helpful

On what grounds ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Eh that would be on the grounds that she did not get what she purchased!
    She is missing the crappy earphones and whatever other little things.

I mean what does the manager think? She is pulling a fast one for €2 earphones and a €5 32mb memory card? (im assuming its 32mb as thats what came with mine!).
    Its not like she is claiming there was no PSP in the box :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Is she sure the memory stick and earphones were supposed to be with it? I know that when my niece and nephew got PSPs for Christmas that there was no memory stick or earphones with it, also no in-line controls for the earphones like I have with mine. Seems the Value pack comes with nothing other than the PSP. She should just check first that it should actually have these things.

If she doesn't get anywhere on the phone, write a letter to head office and send by registered post. Outline the problem and demand that the missing parts are posted on, or that they collect the PSP with missing bits and replace it with a full one, or that they refund the cost of buying these separately.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

jor el wrote:
    Is she sure the memory stick and earphones were supposed to be with it? I know that when my niece and nephew got PSPs for Christmas that there was no memory stick or earphones with it, also no in-line controls for the earphones like I have with mine. Seems the Value pack comes with nothing other than the PSP. She should just check first that it should actually have these things.
    What jor el said, esp as the "lite" version comes with f**k all, and anything "free" is not usually the most expensive (full bundle) one.

Also, did the box look opened before you left the store, and if so, did you say anything to Tesco about it? I ask as if it was, you'll have to deal with the shop themselves.

Good point... i assumed since she bought 2 of them that they were identical. And one box had this stuff, the other did not. I would assume she would have spotted the price difference.
    Unless of course she paid for two value packs but one of them turned out to be just a core box.

Also i just noticed the OP is talking about something that happened in November??? Is that right?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Nope, it's an offer Tesco were doing in August. You got 50% of the value back in vouchers in the November mailing.

• Advertisement

hi folks sorry i was away all day today this is my 1st time to reply... the crack is my friend Gillian purchased 2 psp's about two weekends ago for xmas pressents. she claims that when the girl handed the 2 boxes to her she said they have been here quite a while and they were unsealed. Now i know this girl gillian well she does be often in my house 3/4 times a week and she tought when she was buying the psps's she was getting something the size of a playstation3! :o "thats shows how much she knows about todays technology!" She told the girl that she would have someone check them over when she returned home to her son and what ever = So her son checks them over and realises that they should both contain a 32meg card booklets and headphone leads as they were both 2005 Value pack boxes but only 1 was compleate So she decided rather than ringing the store back up so late in the night she would drop into her local store the next morning which was only 5 mins away and it goes on from there what happened next, she lives quite a bit away from the store where she originaly purchesed the items but i know she is planning on taking a day off work and returning back to the store face to face. she said she would have done this sooner but she has been waiting on head office to return her call for over a week now and today was her forth time speaking to them

So she definitely has a case then. The best solution is to call the original store and ask if they have a replacement pack, if not can he arrange for a store nearer to you to do the replacement. She is not going to want her money back as she got them for half price essentially.
    Make sure she quotes (and reads for herself) the sale of goods act.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

parsi wrote:
    On what grounds ?

she's entitled t a repair, refund or replacement under the grounds that the item sold was not as advertised as it was missing items

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

OP, Gillian sounds like she has a case. But she has waited two weeks and not gone to the store where she purchased the PSPs. She needs to go where they were bought.

head office rang her back, she was advised to hang on and a sales rep will phone her back, he is looking into it today for her. it was also bought to her attention that psp she purchased where both 254each and she seen simular ones advertised in xtra vission for 179 with a free game? i dont know if that is the same pack or anything but the sales rep is too ring her back and he will investage for her.

i told her that she would get 50% vouchours back in the post but she still thinks it is a liitle rich for tecso not too have droped the psp to the market value in the last 2 years since they 1st came out!? the customer care staff told her they were both there quite some time so she thinks they had them in stock for years. anyway she says she will be happy to get just the items that are missing and not to bothered about getting the price difference.

il keep ya's updated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

spongbob wrote:
    head office rang her back, she was advised to hang on and a sales rep will phone her back, he is looking into it today for her. it was also bought to her attention that psp she purchased where both 254each and she seen simular ones advertised in xtra vission for 179 with a free game? i dont know if that is the same pack or anything but the sales rep is too ring her back and he will investage for her.

i told her that she would get 50% vouchours back in the post but she still thinks it is a liitle rich for tecso not too have droped the psp to the market value in the last 2 years since they 1st came out!? the customer care staff told her they were both there quite some time so she thinks they had them in stock for years. anyway she says she will be happy to get just the items that are missing and not to bothered about getting the price difference.

il keep ya's updated

Not to be unkind to her, but Gillian doesn't sound like her batteries are fully charged! Why did she do her shopping around after she bought them? And why would she think she has a gripe with Tesco because they are more expensive than Xtravision (or fifity-two Euro cheaper if you consider vouchers)?

im not sure who told her about the 179 price i never asked, it could have been her son that seen them priced cheaper.
    I dont think she went out of her way to look at the prices elsewhere... im not even sure who she got the 2nd psp for i think it was for her grandson.

she knows she is still getting them cheaper from the RRP even if they are 179 elsewere with the vouchours she will recieve.

she's only peed off that head office didn't return her calls when they said they would do so. this been the main reson why she hasnt returned to the shop already

hi folks just to put everyone in the picture my friend gillian got a complete refund for the 2 psp on her 28th day of purchase. 255 euro each. she went to smyths and got 2 slim and lite ones for 179each she's a happy little camper.

Advertisement