Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop Hardware Failure - Possible Causes

Options
  • 25-09-2007 9:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭

Hey all. My laptops in trouble, and I'm wondering if anyone with similar experience has any ideas what the cause of the following could be

Its a HP laptop, bout a year old, not sure what exact model (dv something, with a dual core, a 7400 nvidia etc). Firstly one of the speakers died, then a few weeks later the second died. About a week or two after that the power button started acting up - it would take more and more effort to get the button to work. Finally the button doesnt work at all (using the remote to switch it on and off)

Now the layout of the laptop has the speakers right at the fold, and the power button is just below them. As they are physically close, I'm thinking it might be a physical issue as opposed to software etc? Also the laptop has a tendancy to heat up fairly hot, especially in this area

Any ideas? Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Sounds like a definitive hardware issue if the power button is acting up, short of opening the front bezel and having a look to see if the power switch is sticking or broken, theres not too much you can do.
    As for the over heating, air blast the vents using a can of compressed air to see if that helps, alternatively try reapplying some thermal compound to the cpu (which is a bit of an undertaking.)

Advertisement