Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dalai Lama

Options
  • 24-09-2007 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭

I Received The Dalai Lama Audio book off a friend of mine, (the one read by Richard Gere), and i am absolutely amazed about the man. He is such a pure human and has all the qualities of what i would think a true human is.

I love the way he talks about science being an important part in studying the soul. I am a very scientific person myself, and quite philosophical in nature so in many ways i could really relate to the way the Dalai Lama was thinking about things.

I would love in this thread if people could talk about their views on the Dalai Lama be it negative or positive and possibly discuss the aspects of his personal philosophies.

Mathius

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Welcome Bogwalrus:)
    The Dali Lama is a wonderful person. I have many of his tapes. If you have not already done so, I recommend you read the book Seven Years in Tibet (the movie was very weak), you will see that he is a very scientifically minded person. I would only dissagree with his thoughts on small issues. These issue relate to the fact that us ordinary people cannot follow his path 100% since we are not monks or Nuns, we have therefore adapted Buddhism to suit the working class. Another issue would be vegitarianism, of which I am not one. Yet I do demand that our meat be trezted humanel;y and with respect. Yet another would be sex, which of course ties into treating our bodies with respect. Again, I differ with his views.
    Yet none of these differences make me any less respectfull and in awe of this great man.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Asiaprod wrote:
    Welcome Bogwalrus:)
    The Dali Lama is a wonderful person. I have many of his tapes. If you have not already done so, I recommend you read the book Seven Years in Tibet (the movie was very weak), you will see that he is a very scientifically minded person. I would only dissagree with his thoughts on small issues. These issue relate to the fact that us ordinary people cannot follow his path 100% since we are not monks or Nuns, we have therefore adapted Buddhism to suit the working class. Another issue would be vegitarianism, of which I am not one. Yet I do demand that our meat be trezted humanel;y and with respect. Yet another would be sex, which of course ties into treating our bodies with respect. Again, I differ with his views.
    Yet none of these differences make me any less respectfull and in awe of this great man.

You're not a vegitarianism? :p

Actually, one of my favourite Dalai Lama quotes was on the subject of premarital sex (that it's 'good fun'). Quite refreshing to hear the head of a religion - and a celibate man at that - speak about sex so openly and relaxedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

You're not a vegitarianism? :p
    :p , I love my MacDonalds
    Actually, one of my favourite Dalai Lama quotes was on the subject of premarital sex (that it's 'good fun'). Quite refreshing to hear the head of a religion - and a celibate man at that - speak about sex so openly and relaxedly.
    Indeed, very refreshing, my parting point would be where I can/cannot put it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Asiaprod wrote:
    :p , I love my MacDonalds

Indeed, very refreshing, my parting point would be where I can/cannot put it:)

lol, wasn't aware he touched on that at all. (Er...no pun intended.) In which case, I'll have to part with him on that same issue.

As for McDonalds: I think you're safe - I'm not sure there's enough meat in their burgers to qualify.;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

There is nothing in McDonalds that is vegetarian, not even the chips, not that I would eat there is there was.

I would like to hear thes tapes, hmmm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

Any1 get to see the "Dalai Lama Renaissance" Documentary? My My it is quite strange. Basically it has to do with a gathering of 40 Americans of different minds and occupations (scientists, Psychologists, Philosophers, Theologeons, Musicians, Media people bla bla bla) and they all meet up in Tibet to discuss with each other life and try to find a "synthesis" ,an idea that can set some foundation as to what direction we as humans should be going in. There is loads of funny bits with the Dalai Lama cracking jokes and stuff, and some of the scientists and so on are absolute lunatics. I would love to know what some of you thought if you have seen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I had the pleasure of meeting the man a long time back. Even though I'm not a Buddhist, I did find that he had a certain 'aura' about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭MeditationMom

by bogwalrus -
    I would love to know what some of you thought if you have seen it.

I didn't see the documentary, but it reminds me of the book "The Destructive Emotions" here -

- written about either the same, or an earlier conference just like it. Excellent reading and a book to work yourself through slowly. It is a great time for religion and science to get back together, since there are so many great new methods to measure and watch the mind and heart with. How to measure, watch, and describe that which is beyond both heart and mind - that will be the ultimate challenge for both religion and science.

The Dalai Lama is quite revolutionary when it comes to Buddhism. Since Science is a search for truth, and religious search also a search for truth, it seems silly how much at odds religion and science are in certain camps. The problems arise when there is too much attachment to old news, old teachers, or taking other's experience for one's own because one "understands" something.

Science and religion have a lot in common. People seem to have to die for truth - be that that the earth is not the center of the Universe, or that God is benevolent, and that heaven is within and now, rather than above and beyond. People who declare their own and everyone's Oneness with God generally get stoned or crucified.

The Dalia Lama is wise, and in his kindness seems to be guiding us gently towards the truth by way of science - the one thing we trust in the West. The final truth - as in, for example, the unifying principle - some elegant formula about the Universe - will still be the result of thought, though - a high level of understanding, but not experience, while religion is about experience.

The ultimate religious "experience" - enlightenment - (you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free) needs to be repeatable by some scientific method. At this point the Dalai Lama seems to be looking for a scientific explanation of enlightenment - enlightenment highly likely being his experience already. He seems very curious whether there is a scientific explanation for enlightenment, or even a way to enlightenment by Western scientific method.

It is hard to tell with him regarding his own enlightenment, as he has lived an enlightened life and attitude long before enlightenment itself, if he is enlightened. He says he is not, which can be a true statement if an enlightened one makes it.

A devoted religious life - before and after enlightenment - is about living faithfully according to what the enlightened ones tell us is true. We are all one, and therefore kindness is logical. What you do to others you do to yourself.
    Science is still terribly behind in this regard, but ahead in it's method and vigilance of inquiry, and its love for verifiable truth.

Buddhism is so "scientific" because it relies heavily on observation and inquiry. One of its most reliable, but lengthy methods towards enlightenment is the use of koans - which literally blow the mind into an explosion required for enlightenment to become possible.

The incredible level of kindness of the Dalai Lama is something many people - even George Bush - are noticing, and are very intrigued by, making them wonder by which method, practice, or insights he arrived there. Most obviously he is a vegetarianism :), he meditates, he doesn't have sex, he is a Buddhist - mostly; he doesn't eat after noon - mostly; he intensely studies religious and scientific texts, he practices loving kindness and detachment at the same time, and he has suffered a great deal of loss. Is all this necessary for enlightenment? No. But it can help immensely, without guaranteeing enlightenment. What to do? One needs to find one's own way. The Universe will help and arrange itself just right for each one of us - no worries. Enlightenment is everyone's destiny. Maybe the best way is to try to avoid enlightenment at all cost. What we resist the most... we tend to end up with. Time for a happy meal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Rhiannon14

I agree that everyone should read Seven Years in Tibet. A fantastic travel book alone, but particularly interesting since you witness the Dalai Lama's childhood through the eyes of an outsider (of Tibetan culture).

He is just an incredible person, a true embodiment of Buddhist thought. Not to drive us off topic, but I've always considered Buddhism more of a philosophy than a religion. It subscribes to no illusions, only truth achieved through reason.

Advertisement