Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very confused as to what to buy?

Options
  • 24-09-2007 11:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭

Here's my story. I have under a grand to spend, and what I need is this. A large TV (42" preferably), with which I want to be able to hook up a PC (to watch movies, or play games, media centre or MythTV, etc). What PC cards do I need to do this (in HD if possible). So the TV must also be HD, because I am also considering Blu-ray (Playstation 3). For now it will be used with an analogue TV service (digital to follow shortly) and also for watching standard DVDs. For now I want to use it on a stand, but at some stage in the future I will want to hang it on the wall. I also want to get a half decent surround sound system. When we watch movies, we do so in a fairly dark room and the rest of the time the room is fairly well lit. For the most part the TV will be at our eye level. We'd also be sitting about 6ft from the TV.

Is it possible to get the above for under a grand?

I saw for example on another thread the 42" LG set (1080p), for €895 in Dunnes. Are they any good. Also I've heard some people say that some sets have a "buzzing" sound. I absolutely do not want this. I want the TV to be a close to absolutely silent as possible (while muted).

Also given my requirements, is it LCD or Plasma I'm looking for?.

In order to work well with a PC, is 1080p absolutely necessary?

does it make a difference? If I can afford it, would I be mad not to?

I have also heard mixed reactions about the length of life for LCD and Plasma. I still don't know which one lads longer. Recently I heard someone say that parts in Plasma's need to be changed or can give you hassle every 18months. I don't know whether to believe this, but if it is true, then is a straight NO to plasmas for me. I need the set to last years (at least 4).

I would appreciate if you could point me in the right direction for what I should be looking for. I don't necessarily need to be pointed at specific sets, but rather the info I would need to efficiently search myself. However if there is a set right now that you think I should be diving at, then please let me know.

Thank you very much. I appreciate any advice you can offer me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭ve

Is it possible to get a 42" LCD with Full HD (1920 x 1080) i & p, for <= €1000?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Puggy

Read the full spec for the model, it accepts 1080p inputs but format is 720p only, hence the price.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Puggy wrote: »
    Read the full spec for the model, it accepts 1080p inputs but format is 720p only, hence the price.
    Is it? Hrm. False specs then on that site.

Actually, I'm a bit confused now, as I had thought I had linked to a Samsung, but I get an Xoro 37" in the link now (which is Full HD 1080p btw)

Advertisement