Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turntable hum

Options
  • 24-09-2007 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭

Any vinyl freaks out there able to help with this one:

I've a rega planar 3, to which I've recently fitted a grado prestige gold cartridge. I now notice a hum when the needle is on the innermost tracks. It's actually not really very noticeable, but I'd still like to sort it if I can.

When the needle is raised and I swing the arm across and back, I only get the hum when it's close to the spindle, so I'm fairly sure that proximity to the turnatable's motor unit is the issue (as the motor unit is the opposite side of the deck from the tonearm).

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Any vinyl freaks out there able to help with this one:

I've a rega planar 3, to which I've recently fitted a grado prestige gold cartridge. I now notice a hum when the needle is on the innermost tracks. It's actually not really very noticeable, but I'd still like to sort it if I can.

When the needle is raised and I swing the arm across and back, I only get the hum when it's close to the spindle, so I'm fairly sure that proximity to the turnatable's motor unit is the issue (as the motor unit is the opposite side of the deck from the tonearm).

Any suggestions?

only the obvious stuff.... make sure the connections at the cart are solid, check everything is earthed and that the "ground" from TT to amp is clean and tight.

Did you have this hum before you installed the Grado? Grasping at straws a bit but would the cart need to be aligned?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭conax

yep, I would check that the cartridge is fitted securely sounds like the screening is not making propper contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

conax wrote:
    yep, I would check that the cartridge is fitted securely sounds like the screening is not making propper contact.
    Not sure what you mean by "the screening is not making proper contact".

Bolts on the cartridge are tight, as are the four contacts.

I'm ALMOST certain that I didn't have this problem with my previous cartridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭conax

did you have a rega or grado cartridge on it before as a quick google search has pleanty of returns of problems with hum and grado with some turntables due to poor screening on the cartridge, rega and grado are mentioned, there is a grado hum database.

If it's none of the above then you might ring Cloneys and ask their advice.... I know somebody else here got their TT serviced by them for about €100 which is great value if you have a decent setup (and you obviously do). Can you try another cart on it in the meantime? I'm not at all familiar with Grado carts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

It seems pretty clear to me now, following a bit of surfing, that it's due to less-than-fabulous shielding on the cart. (I had an Ortofon 510 previously, and a Rega Super-Bias before that - both on them on the advice of Cloney.)

To be honest, I really only notice the hum after the side is finished playing, and it's not bothering me. (I think it would be worse with a direct-drive table, as the motor would be closer.)

So, I'm just going to forget about it, relax, and enjoy the music!

By the way, despite the above, I'm really pleased with it. I've recently upgraded a couple of components and am happy with the results. I finally said goodbye to my Cyrus One amp, since the phono stage had started acting up. Just as it was toddling off into the sunset on its zimmer frame, it was kidnapped by a lurking sound engineer, licking his lips.

I now have a Graham Slee Gram Amp II Communicator phono stage and a Cambridge Audio Azur 840 Amp. I also finally got around to putting sand in the cavities of my Monitor Audio Bronze floorstanders, and upgraded a few cables while I was at it. The whole thing is very pleasing indeed. (Just as well, since I think it'll be a while before the bursar approves further expenditure - she has this bizarre notion that feeding and clothing the family are higher priorities.)

"So, I'm just going to forget about it, relax, and enjoy the music!" Best advice ever.

Nice setup there.... I'm waiting on a good phono stage myself... I hear PS Audio have a new unit out soon (maybe this week!).

Advertisement