Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of getting into Guild Wars

Options
  • 24-09-2007 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

I am considering getting into guildwars... I ditched WoW a few months back mainly because I found it very unforgiving to casual players...

What Im wondering is
    1) Will I get more out of Guild Wars than WoW considering I would only really have a few hours a week to play

2) Is it worth starting with the first guild wars and playing through?... are there still players on the old servers?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ivan

Depending on your reasons for choosing guild wars, I'd tend to recommend Fury. Its still in an open beta atm but is being launched in a few weeks and looks every bit superior than guild wars, except maybe for pve content :p

Guild wars is quite good, I really enjoyed it when I seriously into it, for about 6 months. The biggest problem with it is finding a stable guild so you can experience all the pvp content.

However, in order to get to that stage you really need to play through all the PvE content and then go back and capture a few really useful skills. Failing that you can play through with just pvp characters and go from there. Do this will force you to buy all your skills which isnt cheap, though if there are specific builds you can find that you like, then this isnt too bad an option.

Ultimately, it depends on what you want out of the game... but yes, I'd recommend you start with the first one and play through.

Also, guild wars isnt really that time demanding but it does require that you have a flexible guild or one that is based around a similar play time as you.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I personally dislike GW but know many who prefer it to wow.
    To me its not a real mmo as you dont meet people out in the world unless you first took them with you in a group.
    The world is instance based so its just you and bots versus bots or you and group versus bots.
    I too bought GW as i found wow not for casual play but just never got into it.

Have ou considered LOTRO?Its excellent.
    To me its close to wow and not as much as a grind,despite the grind i still prefer wow to them all.

Advertisement