Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would you do?

Options
  • 24-09-2007 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭

Well as I said before got a second hand moped a couple of weeks ago.
    Anyway I am about 9 miles from home it is 10.30pm at night, I am going home - start up the bike - NO LIGHTS - nothing at all!! No brake lights, headlights etc- only lights that worked were indicators. They had all being working earlier.
    So considered my options as there was no way I could leave the bike there as could not get it and something very important on the next day could not miss!! It was in the city so there was street lighting etc so decided to ride it slowly keeping to the left with indicator on - also not too much traffic as latish at night and took any routes I knew avoiding main roads.

Got to about 2 miles from house when Cops pulled me over - explained stituation lights were working earlier etc - to be fair they were OK made me walk it which I did most of the way.

Brought it down to Bike shop next day, some cord had gone they said they had not seen it go in over 4 years on any bikes!! Well got myself one of those High Visibility jackets now as well so hopefully will not happen again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,016 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Luckycharm wrote:
    Well got myself one of those High Visibility jackets now as well so hopefully will not happen again.
    How will a hi-vis jacket stop your lights going? :)

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 sarsfields

luckycharm...please dont ever do something so stupid again. im a rospa trained motorcyclist with many years experience and advanced training, there are alot of bikers in ireland with training who are tarnished with the idea that all 2 wheelers are bad, this is because of *people* like you..get 4 wheels instead and be like the rest of them or GET SERIOUS ABOUT BIKING! stop f*cking it up for everyone else.

edit: be nice or get banned!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭colm_c

I personally would have left the bike there (locked to something immobile) and got a cab.

If you want to stop these things happening, and you don't have a friend with a van, get some AA cover for yourself. They would have came out and brought you and the bike home.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

I would have done like the OP. No way am I leaving my bike anywhere if I'm not around.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

sarsfields wrote:
    luckycharm...please dont ever do something so stupid again. im a rospa trained motorcyclist with many years experience and advanced training, there are alot of bikers in ireland with training who are tarnished with the idea that all 2 wheelers are bad, this is because of *people* like you..get 4 wheels instead and be like the rest of them or GET SERIOUS ABOUT BIKING! stop f*cking it up for everyone else.
    A charming introduction to the biking community for luckycharm.

If Im honest, if all else failed Id probably have done the same, but very very carefully, prob have risked arrest going walking pace on the pavement or something. Id have tried hard to get a lift or get the bike put away somewhere safe in the vicinity first, tho. Im in a better position than the OP because I work with bikes, Id have help picking me and the bike up, so I daresay Ill never be in that situation.:) I mainly drive a car, and wouldnt attempt to drive without lights on, because its a bigger, faster target on the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

sarsfields wrote:

In response to my angry little friend, I have 7 years experience on the bike and over 14years driving. So please don't get all high and mighty there and so Patronizing. Where the scooter was there was no way I would leave it there as would get the feeling it might not be there the next day. It was 10.30pm at night - there was not much traffic and it was in the city which is pretty lit up. I was not driving fast kept my indicator on so I could be seen in some way, I went off main roads where I could and stayed on the far left of the road so unless some idiot was driving along the cycle lanes I was safe enough and was obviously constantly using my mirrors.
    I brought back to the Bike shop the next day where it took 2 hours solid work to fix- I told him was not leaving till fixed. He said he had not seen that cord go on a bike in over 4 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Shane_C

sarsfields wrote:

Harsh, we all know what is dangerous. We take our own chances and live with the consequences. Biking is a very personal thing so you shouldn't care about your tarnished reputation so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Luckycharm wrote:
    In response to my angry little friend, I have 7 years experience on the bike and over 14years driving. So please don't get all high and mighty there and so Patronizing. Where the scooter was there was no way I would leave it there as would get the feeling it might not be there the next day. It was 10.30pm at night - there was not much traffic and it was in the city which is pretty lit up. I was not driving fast kept my indicator on so I could be seen in some way, I went off main roads where I could and stayed on the far left of the road so unless some idiot was driving along the cycle lanes I was safe enough and was obviously constantly using my mirrors.
    I brought back to the Bike shop the next day where it took 2 hours solid work to fix- I told him was not leaving till fixed. He said he had not seen that cord go on a bike in over 4 years.
    AFAIC you didn't do anything wrong and as I said I would have done the same.

Advertisement