Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big problem formatting a laptop

Options
  • 24-09-2007 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,594 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I received a laptop with Windows xp preinstalled on it. I was trying to install an English version of Windows xp I purchased in an IT shop some while back and it just does not want to install. When I boot from CD Rom first and get to the option to install windows xp hit enter, to escape press F3 etc nothing happens. Its like the laptop freezes. Would anyone know why this is . I don't want to have Windows xp on the laptop in a different language. The only other option will be to start learning Polish. I also tried changing the regional language settings to English to no avail. The laptop is a Fujitzu Siemans Amilo LI laptop.Would using some kind of formatting software help. i.e that would totally wipe the operating system from the laptop?, and then possibly allow me to install the English version onto the hard disk?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

It may be no harm to test the computers hardware. You can do this easily by downloading a ubuntu live cd. This is a linux based operating that is very easy to use.

Using this you can get into another operating system (ubuntu). It has applications for editing partitions (gedit I think it's called)

It performs a hardware check while it loads so if you do have a hard drive problem it should show up here.

Before you wipe though, if it's xp pro you should be able to change the regional and language settings to english. If it's xp home you can't.

Link - http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭lucozader

interesting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭RobbieMc

Hi,

These Fuji have a hidden boot partition, this can sometimes cause issue's when you try to do a retial install over an existing version of windows.
    It can be done, but first you'll need to do a full wipe of the HDD.
    using a boot CD get to a Command prompt and use the old fashion FDISK command to wipe ALL partitions from the drive.
    Then boot again with the XP boot cd and one of the new options is to create a boot partition, follow the instructions and all should be fine.

This of course would be fine in the real world and lot's of various things can stop an installation from happening, So you do this at your own risk and these instructions if followed are done so are your own risk. Do'nt blame me if things fo tits up :D

If all else fails, I have a recovery disk for the Fuji siemens laptops that puts windows back on.
    Rob

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I know I downloaded (and promptly uninstalled due my crapness at it) an Irish language pack years back for Windows. I'm sure if Irish is covered that theres an english pack on the MS website somewhere.

Edit: seems I'm wrong. Madness.
    Language Interface Packs (LIP) for Windows XP Professional and Windows XP Home Edition is not available in English, but provides a localized User Interface for emerging or minority language markets.

As far as your attempt at formatting goes, can you get as far as wiping the partitions before it freezes (I think you've answered this but just to confirm). It should ask you to select a partition at which point you can install or format said partition.

Advertisement