Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

foreshore duck

Options
  • 24-09-2007 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭

was out shooting the other night and one of the lads shot a duck coming up the river. when he was retreived the duck, it stunk of the sea. he was shot in the midlands which i find very strange. does anyone know why the duck would have got that far inland or this that usual?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Steve,
    What breed of duck did your friend shoot?
    A Merganser? one of the fish eaters?
    It is not unusual to see some (1 or 2) foreshore ducks/ geese blown off course in a gale and stay around for a while. Mallards frequent the foreshore (sandbars mostly-low tide) and are a freshwater duck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Slightly off track a bit, but a duck shot on the foreshore (mallard) i.e one born and raised then shot along the coast has a different taste to ducks bred inland. Being born and bred north county Dublin now living in cavan, I have shot and eaten both, and can vouch for same.

It's amazing how much of a birds diet comes through. A friend of mine shot a pheasant that was knocking around a piggery (pig farm) he couldn't eat it and as it cooked it smelled rank..:eek:

Advertisement