Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games

Options
  • 24-09-2007 4:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I used to be a rabid gamer years ago, but kind of got out of it somehow and I would like to start playing again. In short I played when D&D, AD&D, MERP, Shadowrun and Blood Bowl where typical, and I'm clueless about where to start these days, I popped into games workshop and saw that they sell Warhammer and Lord of the Rings sets and accessories, I never got into Warhammer, the shop guy recommended the LOTR set for a refresher, what's the gen consensus on this game? Any good?

Any other suggestions would be good on games, clubs I could join and misc information.

Cheers,

Rob

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

I'd suggest calling in to Models Inc on Dorset street, very near the O'Connel street end.

They've got all the Games-workshop games as well as a lot of other systems (Hordes/Warmachine, Flames of War, At43, etc)

Plenty of tables and you can usually get a quick demo game of the more popular systems.

I don't work for them, but I'm a member of Dublin Games Guild which has a club night there every wednesday (40k, whfb, hordes/warmachine, dbm, etc). So if you're looking for someone to play your new game with you might be interested in joining. There's a lot of lads who would have been playing back in the day themselves.

LOTR doesn't seem that popular tbh.

There's a lot of 40k, probably WH fantasy and Hordes/Warmachine out there.

Personally, I'd recommend Hordes. I play 40k and I've just gotten into Hordes in the last few weeks and love it. There's a new Hordes league starting next friday in Models Inc, and there'll be a number of newbies.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭irishthump

I play the LOTR. It seems to be more popular with younger players, I would say mainly because of the attraction of the movies. But also because the rules are quite simple and straightforwars compared to the likes of Warhammer Fantasy. They have games nights for LOTR in GW Liffey St every week as far as I know.

I was never very interested in Games Workshop myself stuff before I started playing LOTR. Like yourself I played some D+D, Merp etc. then moved fantasy wargaming using simple generic rules, mainly form the internet. I got into the LOTR game firstly throught the modelling end of it at first.

I would suggest having a demo game in GW. They're usually only too happy to show the game to prospective customers. (Wonder why?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭hairyheretic

Yeah, if you come along to the Guild you'll get a chance to see a good variety of tabletop games being played.

If you're looking for roleplaying, then I'd suggest joining the igaming list on yahoogroups, and posting there.

I've heard a couple of people say the LotR is quite good, but I've not played it myself, nor do I see it being played all that much (not outside of GWs store at least).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭DerKaiser

Thanks for that, usefull info,

Cheers,

Advertisement