Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New mp3 player

Options
  • 23-09-2007 11:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭

So assuming my quest to get a replacement fails, i'm in the market for a new mp3 player.

Here's how i see things at the moment:
    Apple - I'm avoiding them because they're bastards and like to break compatibility with every third party application every firmware update just so people have to use itunes. Also, there's no itunes on linux, so that may be an issue.

Archos - I owned one before, it was DOA. I RMA'ed it, the new one broke the first day i took it out of the house. My friend has one, it's also broken (but he does drop it *a lot* which might explain that one). So the reliability of these players is definitely questionable.

Creative - Generally fairly solid players. The interface system has definitely gone downhill over the years. They are no-where near as usable as the older models. The new creative zen solid-state jobby looks pretty nifty, but it'll cost mega-bucks to get the 16gig version and get an 8gig SD card. Anything less than 16 gigs isn't enough for me, so capacity is problematic. It also doesn't have Tv-Out and that's definitely an issue as I do use that a fair bit.

IRiver - Used to be fairly solid, but they only do low-capacity flash devices these days. Not really that useful to me.

So unfortunately, it looks like i'm left with getting a replacement vision M to tide me over until the next generation of players come out.

So, are there any secret gems out there that i don't know of? From a feature perspective, the best player i've ever owned was a Rio Karma. A great interface, the best 'DJ' system i've ever used and overall a fairly solid player. If there was a new version of it that just added video playback + tv-out, i'd buy it in a flash.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I know you mentioned that you'd like to avoid apple, but have you considered a 80gig ipod 5.5gen with rockbox on it? it works like an external hard drive (works for me on windows and mac) i'm sure it would work in linux too.

There may be a slight problem though is sourcing a 5.5gen ipod now since the classics have been shipped.

The ipod classic isn't compatible with rockbox as the developers haven't been able to get their hands on one to crack it open per se.

I agree with you about iRiver i had and still do have a h140 which was a great player but they went downhill since that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

I was oh so very close to buying an iPod as my next player until apple flipped the finger at third party apps. I'm voting with my feet. I can't with a straight face recommend apple, they're worse than microsoft. The only reason for the last firmware update was to break compatibility with everything but iTunes. That annoys me a lot because i work on MTP support in Banshee.

I'm not pushed by the 'works like a harddrive' option. It's nice i suppose, but it's not a deal-breaker in any way whatsoever for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

I can't with a straight face recommend apple, they're worse than microsoft. The only reason for the last firmware update was to break compatibility with everything but iTunes.

Strong words. Overly harsh IMO. As for Apple being worse than Microsoft... Im guessing you dont have much Apple-experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

Consider a Zune?

I'm using the Archos 604 at the moment, excellent player. No problems with stability. Supports most formats, has TV in and out via an adapter. I noticed one of the adverts.ie posts this morning was for this player with the DVR adapter. Might be worth checking out.

I had an iPod way back, I used a small piece of software rather than itunes, it's called Anapod and is from www.redchairsoftware.com I found it superb. but I havn't used it for a long time.

Cheerio
    Howard

• Registered Users Posts: 10,526 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I agree with the comments about iRiver, my buddy had a 20GB model few years ago(dunno what it was) and it was the business... I had the h10 (5gb) and was looking to get another iRiver when i upgraded to a 30gb model, but unfortunately they seem to only do flash players now...

Went with an Archos 404, it's not too big, not too small, i love the thing... I've dropped it once or twice (oops :o ) but it's still working away brilliantly, never had any problems...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Mully

i'm in the market for a new mp3 player..... it looks like i'm left with getting a replacement vision M to tide me over until the next generation of players come out.

So, are there any secret gems out there that i don't know of?

I'm in a similar boat, been meaning to post up for a while.

My situation is, I've own an iRiver 140 for about 4yrs now. Its on its last legs, batterylife is less than 5hrs at this stage. I can't install a new battery, as the teeny tiny screws that hold it together, are worn away so I can't open it up.

I've no interest in MP4 players, I just want an audio player of about 60-80gb ... but then, I don't want a iPod or Vision:M as they are both ID3tag based. I love the Folder Control that the iRiver gives me. Nothing like a few compliation cds to destroy the 'Artist' list !!

The iAudio X5L is about the best I can find (slimline version on the way) but its only 30gb :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

440Hz wrote:
    Strong words. Overly harsh IMO. As for Apple being worse than Microsoft... Im guessing you dont have much Apple-experience.
    Actually, i was the owner of an original iMac and currently an owner of a macbook and have owned/used misc apple products over the years, so i think i'm able to be harsh about a company i've actually bought products from.

I'm not denying that the iPod and MacBook are good products, they are. OS X is pretty slick stuff, no denying that. It's just if Microsoft did what apple are doing then microsoft would be flamed from here to the high hells and sued by every major corporation with enough money because microsoft would be hindering third party apps.

They may be harsh, but unfortunately they're true.

Anyway, back on topic. I've heard about iAudio and nearly bought the M3L quite a while ago but in my recent wanderings around the net, i didn't really come across the name too much so i assumed they weren't really that popular, so i didn't investigate them too deeply. I'll check em out now.

Advertisement