Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell v. Vaio

Options
  • 23-09-2007 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi all,

new to this laptop purchasing game... all advice appreciated! Can't decide between a Dell:Inspiron 6400 for E719 all-in here

or a Sony: Vaio N38E for E719, altho paying for delivery here

I mainly need it for WiFi, word processing, music, DVDs, basic enough stuff really.

All opinions wanted!
    Thanks! :)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

They both have the same spec so they either or really. That dell seems a bit expensive and I have recently recommended this dell vostro laptop for another poster. I would change the battery to at least a 6 cell. This brings the overall price (including delivery and vat) to just under €800. This is with a 3 year warranty (the two you have linked to are only a one year warranty).
    You can downgrade the warranty to a one year and it will work out at about €50 cheaper than the two you linked to and it's a better laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,087 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

2 negitives of those laptops
    pentium dual core not as good as core (2) duo
    integrated graphics not very good

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

eolhc wrote:
    2 negitives of those laptops
    pentium dual core not as good as core (2) duo
    integrated graphics not very good

For what he is using it for it is more than enough. There is no need to be spending any more on something that will give him very little in return.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,087 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

For what he is using it for it is more than enough. There is no need to be spending any more on something that will give him very little in return.

for what he's thinking of paying the spec of the processor and video card seems quite poor, although for the sony brand you'd expect to pay a bit more than the dell

eolhc wrote:
    for what he's thinking of paying the spec of the processor and video card seems quite poor, although for the sony brand you'd expect to pay a bit more than the dell

If you can spec a better one up for a similar price, slap it up here and we'll take a look.

• Advertisement

OP you could also get this. If you drop the warranty down to a 1 year warranty it works out as €820. It's got a better processor, better graphics card and bigger hard drive than the other one I recommended although you do miss out on that nice warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Think every thread about getting a new lappy should be answered with "just get a bleedin vostro"

Sticky? :p hehe

Cunny-Funt wrote:
    Think every thread about getting a new lappy should be answered with "just get a bleedin vostro"

You're probably right. :D They are currently the best value you can get as far as I can see. As long as you don't want some top of the range gaming machine they will do everything you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

You're probably right. :D They are currently the best value you can get as far as I can see. As long as you don't want some top of the range gaming machine they will do everything you want.

They're unbeatable as gaming machines as well - 8600GT for less then 800 if you work it out! although if you were an uber gamer then yeah the 7950Gtx or 7900gs or better but usually cost as much as a small car :D

HavoK wrote:
    They're unbeatable as gaming machines as well - 8600GT for less then 800 if you work it out! although if you were an uber gamer then yeah the 7950Gtx or 7900gs or better but usually cost as much as a small car :D

Tell me about it. Dell tried to charge me around €400 to upgrade from the 7900gs to the 7950gtx. I was tempted but the thoughts of being financially raped by dell didn't appeal to me all that much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,417 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Cunny-Funt wrote:

Seconded.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Tell me about it. Dell tried to charge me around €400 to upgrade from the 7900gs to the 7950gtx. I was tempted but the thoughts of being financially raped by dell didn't appeal to me all that much.

Bioshock is nice on it though.

petes wrote:
    Bioshock is nice on it though.

*shakes fist*

I still have to try it out on my 7900gs. Hopefully it looks purdy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

Hate that game!

No-one told me there was a limit to the number of times you can install it on a PC, it's not mentioned on the box or manual, or even during the set up routine. When I installed it, it kept hanging so, sort of typical response from me, was to un-install it and then re-install. Didn't realise I was using up my "activation credits" by doing that. It was only someone in work that let me know that the "copy protection" on the game was fairly extreme.

Anyways... on topic: I've a Dell through work and a Vaio at home. Both do the basics well but the Vaio had a very good range of pre-installed software on it. Not sure about the examples above specifically but might be worth double checking that before committing to the buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭PeterMC

Thanks for the advice! :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

the dell will also come with some good pre-installed software on it.....

if your an idiot....

the vostro's are great. wish i had one...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Ah yeah the Vostro is a grand auld laptop indeed. So anyone know why they are such a great deal?

I cannot find any faults with mine at all, is it just going to randomly blow up some day :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭KStaford

Just found the laptop of my dreams here
    at laptopsdirect.ie

It has everything I have been looking for, even comes in at a nice moderate 2.8kg. The only problem is that it is a bit pricy at €1425, mind you komplett are charging €1625 for the same box.

Any opinions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭KStaford

Heres another beaut from elara and an even better model here
    The only problems I can see with these two is that the cache is only 1MB (not published)

Advertisement