Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stalling

Options
  • 23-09-2007 10:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭

How do some types of aircraft (such as military ones) overcome stalling when they fly at steep ascents? Is it just because of the high thrust from the rocket engine?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Kevster wrote:
    How do some types of aircraft (such as military ones) overcome stalling when they fly at steep ascents? Is it just because of the high thrust from the rocket engine?

You mean Jet Engine.

Some are fly by wire so these days most modern Military Aircraft have computers that will not let them stall at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

... ...Jet engine? Oh, I thought some of them used rocket engines. Is it just jet engines with afterburning, like Concorde?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Jakey

There's very few rocket powered aeroplanes the only one I can think of is the X15 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-15

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Stalling is purely a function of angle of attack, which is the angle between the direction of the oncoming airflow (in essence, the direction the wing is moving) and the chord of the wing (a line from the front of the wing to the back). Once this angle reaches a critical point, the wing stalls.

In grossly oversimplified terms this can be considered a function of airspeed, so yes: you could say that the high thrust keeps them from stalling, but only insofar as it keep them moving forward through the air.

Kevster wrote:
    ... ...Jet engine? Oh, I thought some of them used rocket engines. Is it just jet engines with afterburning, like Concorde?

No they are all Jet Engines, Afterburning is achieved by injecting additional fuel into the jet pipe downstream of the turbine. This fuel is ignited by the hot exhaust gases and adds greatly to the thrust of the engine. The advantage of afterburning is significantly increased thrust; the disadvantage of afterburning is its very high fuel consumption and inefficiency but this is acceptable for the short periods in which it is usually used.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Higher thrust to weight ratio means they can climb vertically....not all fighters have the ability, F15, F16, F22, Mig 29 etc yes, a lot of the old 70s fighters didnt. Basically means the engine puts out more thrust the the planes weight meaning it can accelerate vertically.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Plancy........You forget the Lightning !

I am open to correction from the Jet jocks out there , can't you stall a jet engine by tail sliding, ie blowing the air back up it......

I watched the Italian display team , and the Russian's do this at various displays and was standing next to a guy who used to fly F4's , he was in awe and explained to me why..........

Davidth88 wrote:

I am open to correction from the Jet jocks out there , can't you stall a jet engine by tail sliding

Yes you can and its pretty damn impressive when its pulled off.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,321 ✭✭✭✭Victor

pclancy wrote:
    not all fighters have the ability, F15, F16, F22, Mig 29 etc yes, a lot of the old 70s fighters didnt.
    Three of the four you mention are 1970s fighters.

Advertisement