Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laser cards with BOI

Options
  • 23-09-2007 8:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hi,
    I was recently upgraded to a "workstart" current account in Bank of ireland (i used to have a 2nd level account). I notice on their website that it says workstart accounts come with a laser/ATM card but I only have my old ATM card.http://www.bankofireland.ie/html/gws/personal/day_to_day/workstart/index.htmlI was thinking about going down to the bank and asking to apply for the laser card but I dont want them to tell me "no, your not eligible" as I am currently unemployed (but have began making weekly deposits into the account). Is there a minimum balace or anything like that to have a laser card? As far as I have researched there doesnt seem to be, but its not specified on any of the banks website nor the lasercard website itself. What do you think I should do???? I want the laser card for peace of mind really. I was thinking of calling the helpline and saying I "Lost my bank card" to see would they send the laser/ATM card as a replacement. Think it would work????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

They've put you on an account that includes a Laser card. You meet the requirements. You should get the card.

Call up their customer care line tomorrow and ask for one to be sent out.

Beware though, laser cards carry a Government levy each year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭ow2h7nft1me9i4

Hi, thanks for that quick reply and confirming what I thought , i feel reassured!!!!:). I will be caling them first thing in the morning. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

I called them about one, got a letter in the post to send back that I just had to sign. Went to the bank and handed it in.. got called a few hours later to say I can not have one. I'm on a 3rd Level Account. They're dickheads.. they say it's just like cash but when you want one they tell you to piss off. I've been thinking over the past few days to try again, might call in the morning. Say other banks have said they'll give me one if I moved there.. which they did.. as long as you have a current account you can have one they said.

What is the phone number to call to apply for a Laser Card with BoI?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

what is the gov leavy on laser cards?

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭BeansMeansHynes

Its 20 Euro per annum for a laser and 40 Euro per annum for a credit card. You get charged every April as far as I know.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Its 20 Euro per annum for a laser

lovely, thanks :)

I still can not find the number anywhere to phone and apply for one :mad:

The site is rubbish..ish!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

That's odd. To get a laser card with AIB, I walked into AIB, they swiped my card, confirmed my ID, and address, and sent me out a card.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Even though its a debit card, I think for the period between you swiping at a shop and them taking the money from your account, it is technically credit...

Someone told me something like that anyway.. Thats probably why there are certain criteria before you get one..

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭philcsl

Chatmaster wrote:
    I still can not find the number anywhere to phone and apply for one :mad:

The site is rubbish..ish!

If you have telephone banking just call BOI on 1890365365 or AIB 1890242424.

If you don't have telephone banking just ring your local branch and they can organise it.

There isn't a different number to ring specifically for Laser cards.

• Advertisement

philcsl wrote:
    If you have telephone banking just call BOI on 1890365365 or AIB 1890242424.

If you don't have telephone banking just ring your local branch and they can organise it.

There isn't a different number to ring specifically for Laser cards.

Hey thanks, that was right. You just phone your branch.

Not sure if I've telephone banking.

hmm I agree chatmaster, they are dickheads. I called my branch last week to apply for one and the girl on the phone (who was very nice) told me my account hadnt been changed over from second level yet, but told me that I would just have to call into the branch and sign a form for it and my card would be ordered straight away. So I went in and explained to the fella at the counter and he said yeah grand and asked me would I be going to college next year, I said yes , so he said Oh i will put you on a 3rd level account this year to save you changin next year. Then I had to fill out a big form and that, and then he told me, oh , you actually cant get a laser card yet until we see a good bit of money going into your account. I was so annoyed but didnt argue because the bank is rediculous and eveyone can hear all your business. I said ok and left. Im gonna ring them 2moro again and ask for them to send me one out. If they say no I'm gonna tell them im closing my account and going back to AIB.Its rediculous, there giving people credit cards that cant afford to pay their bills but they wont let me have a debit card??? I have a balance of several hundred euro. They need to get their prioroties right.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

So I went in and explained to the fella at the counter and he said yeah grand and asked me would I be going to college next year, I said yes , so he said Oh i will put you on a 3rd level account this year to save you changin next year. Then I had to fill out a big form and that, and then he told me, oh , you actually cant get a laser card yet until we see a good bit of money going into your account.
    I applied for my Laser card in Carlow IT, so the above sounds like complete bull, on BOI's part. It's not like you can take out more than is on your card, is it?

Yep it does sound like BS on BOI'S part!!! It can take several days for transactions to appear in your account. When my mam tried to use her card when she didnt have enoough in her account, it didnt work, but if you have an overdraft facility maybe its different???Im not 100%sure I thought the whole idea was that you couldnt spend the money you dont have, which is why I couldnt understand them not giving me the card.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I've had trouble getting a laser card with BOI before.
    They gave me a lengthy speech about how I could spend money in two shops and the computer might not check and I might spend more than I had in the account. Then I collected my new gold credit card from the same person!

In the end I just left without the laser card and they upgraded me anyway a few months later.

hmmm, they all seemed so great and friendly when I opened my account in school, and then they sent out a brochure a few weeks ago to tell me to change my account(like i mentioned in first post) and listed all the things I can have with my account.I'll defo ring em in the morning and let ya know how I got on. All the trouble I have to go to to take advantage of what my account SHOULD give me.:(

I got my letter in the post so I'll post it back in the morning and see how it goes.

If there is an overdraft.. can it be used by the laser card too? Or just when you've a balance? just wondering

Was just in with BOI. They wont give me the laser card and have no good reason for it other than "theres not enough money going into my account" even tho theres nearly 400 a week going in and i leave the vast majority of it in the account.(Thats a yearly income of 20000euro, and they wont give me a Laswer card, but offere people with an income of 16000 a credit card. Absoloutly rediculous. I was so annoyed, I withdrew my account completly while I was in the branch and closed my account. I went back to my AIB account whom will happily give me a Laser card. Dont know why I left them in the first place TBH.I think it was because of the shiney BOI ATM card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Crazy_marble

I had problems getting a laser card from BOI too but the difference with my case is that it took them over 2 months to tell me I couldn't have one. I kept ringing to order it and they'd say it was fine but three weeks later I still wouldn't have heard back so I'd ring again. This went on for ages until someone eventually called me back and said that they were just after realising my account was a student one so I couldn't have the card at all.

They then went on to offer me a credit card with some kind of astronomical limit...I don't understand what the problem is with giving students a laser card so they can spend what they do have when they seem to have no qualms about offering us credit cards to spend what we don't!

I also had a slight problem with them taking a loan back from me twice due to a coding error and then claiming that it wasn't possible to put it back into my account electronically. Apparently, it would be easier for them to make me go to Blackrock, hand me a check, and make me lodge it back into my account myself. And this was the day before my rent was due! It was unbelievable.

Anywho, sorry about that! Rant over...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

If you only knew the half of it.... There are very good reasons why some people dont get Laser cards and unfortunatly it's the minority who cause the problems for the majority. You would be suprised at the amount of fraud perperated on Laser cards. Very suprised.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

they want you having credit cards and getting into the habit of spending their money so they can offer you large expensive overdrafts and personal loans to clear your credit card debts! ha and they seem to target students who might not be as careful with their money as others who are working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

foggy_lad wrote:
    they want you having credit cards and getting into the habit of spending their money so they can offer you large expensive overdrafts and personal loans to clear your credit card debts! ha and they seem to target students who might not be as careful with their money as others who are working.

Of course, that's a likely explanation :rolleyes:

Chatmaster wrote:
    I got my letter in the post so I'll post it back in the morning and see how it goes.

I'm just waiting on a phone call saying ''tough shit, you're not getting a card.'' or a letter in the post with the card in it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I was twice declined for a laser card with BOI. After the 2nd time I threatened to move my account and I was then given one.

Nightwish wrote: »
    I was twice declined for a laser card with BOI. After the 2nd time I threatened to move my account and I was then given one.

Lol cool, it's my plan.

I'll know today (Monday) I hope by phone call or letter in the mail...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Linku

I had no problems getting a laser card from BOI, the day I turned 18 I went in and just asked if they could replace my ATM card with a laser card. A few days later, someone rang me to confirm I understood the delay that it can sometimes take to debit the account, and overdraft, and I picked my card up the next day.

Advertisement