Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halfords - Faulty Bike

Options
  • 23-09-2007 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭

I purchased a Cererra Subday last Xmas in Halfords. I didn't really cycle the bike for the 1st few months until I started using it to cycle to the train station. After 2 months of cycling the bike, the entire rear gear mechasim snapped off.

Upon returning the bike to Halfords, they tell me that I will have to pay for the bike to be fixed because the manufacterer doesn't cover that part in their warranty.

Its my legal understanding that you can't sell a product if the entire product is under warranty.

"Under the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980, anything you buy from a retailer must be:

of merchantable quality
    fit for its normal purpose, and reasonably durable
    as described, whether the description is part of the advertising or wrapping, on a label, or something said by the salesperson.

When you buy goods from a retailer, you make a contract with him. He agrees to provide certain goods to you for a certain price. If your purchase turns out to be faulty, the retailer, not the manufacturer, is responsible to you and must sort out your complaint. You are entitled to a refund, a replacement or a repair."

Can anyone confirm my position here as I don't want to get the bike repaired if this is going to happen again. I would rather have a trust worthy bike to get me around.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

OnLooker wrote:
    Can anyone confirm my position here as I don't want to get the bike repaired if this is going to happen again. I would rather have a trust worthy bike to get me around.
    Yes you are covered under the sale of goods act and Halfords are 100% responsible for sorting it out. The sale of goods act superseeds any warranty given by a manufacturer or retailer - thats why you will see "this does not affect your statutory rights" written on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭OnLooker

axer wrote:
    Yes you are covered under the sale of goods act and Halfords are 100% responsible for sorting it out. The sale of goods act superseeds any warranty given by a manufacturer or retailer - thats why you will see "this does not affect your statutory rights" written on them.

Do I have to get the bike repaired?? They have been messing me around for the last 5 weeks & only told me today that I have to pay for the repair.

I would much rather get my money back & buy elsewhere with no attitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I know it's too late for you now, but Halfords have a horrible reputation for their bikes in the UK. The "Carrera" for example, is a piece of cheaply made crap, but due to a court case a few years ago, they are allowed use the name - in spite of the fact that Carrera is a renowned Italian cycle manufacturer - because nobody would reasonably expect to get a Carrera bike for less than five grand!

I think they are entitled to offer a repair, but, as posted, the Sale of Goods Act requires Halfords to take responsibility regardless of the warranty offered by their Vietnamese manufacturer. After five weeks of mucking you about I don't think you should settle for a repair. Full refund or Small Claims Court.

Its an awful amount of messing around. I have been in contact with them since August 22nd. Complete joke!!

Firstly on August 22nd they told me they wud order the part. I then rang me and no one bothered to order the part.

After 5 weeks on Sunday, they tell me I need to pay for the repair.

After spending €370 on the bike, I am pissed off and their customer service is a disgrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

You need to write them a letter, stating your right to an acceptable repair at no cost, a replacement, or a refund.
    Mention of the Small Claims Court also might help them focus on the problem.

• Advertisement

Writing a letter won't do anything in my opinion. I will definitely be logging a complaint this week with the small claims court if the situation isn't rectified.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

OnLooker wrote:
    Writing a letter won't do anything in my opinion. I will definitely be logging a complaint this week with the small claims court if the situation isn't rectified.
    but writting a letter strengthens your case that you are a reasonable person who took reasonable steps before involving the law. The procedure I would normally take would be verbally assert my rights then if that doesn't work I would send a letter to which I would demand a reply within 30 days. If that didnt work I would bring them to the small claims court.

axer wrote:
    but writting a letter strengthens your case that you are a reasonable person who took reasonable steps before involving the law. The procedure I would normally take would be verbally assert my rights then if that doesn't work I would send a letter to which I would demand a reply within 30 days. If that didnt work I would bring them to the small claims court.

I was due to recieve a call from the Manager this morning but he didn't bother to call me. He is now in the UK til Wednesday so I decided to write a letter stating the consumers laws.

The letter has now been faxed to Halfords. If I do not recieve a phone call by Thursday morning, a letter will be sent to them on Thursday evening as a final demand for closure to this issue. At the end of the day, they are breaking the law by asking for me to pay for the repair of the bike.

Advertisement