Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Major Nano[2nd gen] problem

Options
  • 23-09-2007 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭

Hi.had my nano about a year now. it just stuck on hold, and no matter which way you push the buttion, it stays on hold.help?!?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Hi.had my nano about a year now. it just stuck on hold, and no matter which way you push the buttion, it stays on hold.help?!?

Have you tryed to dock it? I had the same problem with my old nano, so I docked it and it sortd itself out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

Docked it, no difference, still on hold

Those site link tips dont work either.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

That happened to mine. In my case, the problem wasn't software related at all (so resetting etc wouldnt work). The sliding switch at the top was physically detached from the inner workings of the nano.

(assuming its the same problem) You can temporarily unlock it by putting the lock in the 'unlocked' position and applying a fairly substantial amount of force downwards.

It will lock again as soon as you stop pushing down, so you have to squeeze the button downwards with one hand and operate the functions really quickly with the other. Very tricky, given the amount of force needed.

Edit - actually, I googled it, and this seems to be a fairly common problem, the switch is all too easily detached from the logic board. Im going to take mine apart tomorrow and see if i can fix it. I'll fill you in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

I fixed this FWIW. The problem was pretty much what i reckoned (not exactly)

The hold switch is attached to the logic board with six little legs - two of them had broken free from the solder that was holding them to the board. That's why i was able to operate it by firmly pressing on the case from the outside.

It was a pretty easy fix, but really needs delicate micro-soldering skills. As you can see from the massive blob(s) of solder on mine, that's definitely something I don't have :D

But, it works ;)

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a170/vairish/ipod-1.jpg

I wouldnt want to go near anything that techical, just brought it back to harvey normans and they said they would send to apple
    thanks for the help though guys!

Advertisement