Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice regarding a Degree

Options
  • 23-09-2007 4:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭

I am looking for some advice from people currently doing or completed a Joint Major in Arts.

Here is my situation:

I was in UCD 2005-2006 doing 1st Year Computer Science and passed all my exams and was accepted into 2nd Year. During the Summer I decided Computer Science is not for me and it was something I did not want to pursue. So I dropped out in the hope of returning in a couple of years to do Arts.

After one year of working and relaxing I realised that I want to do English and History. I have decided to apply for the 2008-2009 College year with Arts in UCD. During this last year, I have saved up the money to pay for 1st year and then I am eligible for continuation of my "Free Fees" and I also have the required points. After reviewing the modules available to me, I was happy to see I could do both English and History with one other subject (I am thinking Roman and Greek Studies. we will see :) ). I have the option to pursue History and English as a Joint Major, which I would really love to do, so now here is my question.

Can someone who has completed a Joint Major give some advice with regards workload and general difficulty of doing 2 degrees at the same time? I have a great passion for both subjects and enjoy learning but I do not want to get into something that could end up being counter-productive. When I say counter-productive I am referring to the possibility that due to it being difficult both subjects would suffer academically due to the workload versus doing just one of them. For example, I would rather get an A in one subject than 2 D's in two subjects.

If someone could advise me on the workload, hours spent and overall learning challenge that is in doing a Joint Major I would be most appreciative. However I am aware it will probably be a lot of writing, but as you can see from this topic's length I like writing! :p

Thanks!

Comments

I don't know myself but just so you know it might be worthwhile posting this in the UCD forum too as I believe there are several people there who do/have done the subjects you're referring to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Liber8or

I will do that!

Thanks for the tip. :)

Advertisement