Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transport 21

Options
  • 23-09-2007 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transport_21

Interesting read. They propose building a metro through Blanchardstown. And a load of new Luas lines. Does any1 know any more information than is available on the wikipedia article?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

I'd have to ask where have you been for the past eighteen months given this has been in the public domain for that length of time!

Anyhow, the full details (insofar as the government are prepared to give them) of the State's transport policy are at www.transport21.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

I'd have to ask where have you been for the past eighteen months given this has been in the public domain for that length of time!

So it's probably safe to assume that this topic has been discussed to death and I should have used the 'search' function. My bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭strassenwolf

KC61 wrote:
    Anyhow, the full details (insofar as the government are prepared to give them) of the State's transport policy are at www.transport21.ie
    There's also a poster here called Transport21 Fan who you could PM. I'd imagine he knows all about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Platform11 have a lot of info at http://platform11.org/transport21/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

It's ok, O/P. The search function dosnt work here at the mo. Havent looked a wikipedia, but as usaul beware of anything on it because you can add anything you want.

Oh, and that isnt a Metro out in the West. To be fair to the RPA they keep saying it isnt, but the pesky aul government keep on insisting that it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,869 ✭✭✭trellheim

If it's not a metro what is it ? An S-Bahn ?

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭aliveandkicking

trellheim wrote:

It's a Luas line named Metro West to make it sound better

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

trellheim wrote:
    ....if you mean Strassenbahn then yes. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Rineanna

It's a Luas line named Metro West to make it sound better
    Well, not really. It's a bit more than a Luas. It's in between light-rail and and heavy-rail in terms of capacity. A 'Light-Metro' is what it has been coined as. A couple of other cities have a similar system, such as Porto.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

From what I gather, the whole Metro is just Luas by another name, albeit with underground sections.

As such, I'm skeptical that it will be fit for purpose. Luas is really not even designed with enough capacity to cope with the future passenger volumes on the existing Red and Green lines! (The extensions will surely prove disasterous for having a service one can rely on) A proper Metro ("tube", "underground", etc.) can transport far more passengers than the Luas (a tram system) is capable of doing. The Luas constraints are not solely the vehicles, platform length, etc. but more importantly the electrical supply for more traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭aliveandkicking

Rineanna wrote:
    Well, not really. It's a bit more than a Luas. It's in between light-rail and and heavy-rail in terms of capacity. A 'Light-Metro' is what it has been coined as. A couple of other cities have a similar system, such as Porto.

Metro North is what you would call a 'Light Metro' but Metro West is very much a Luas line. Metro West will not have the same level of segregation or capacity as Metro North. You will barely notice a difference between the Red Luas line and the so called Metro West.

Advertisement