Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reseating and cleaning laptop heatsink

Options
  • 22-09-2007 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone here has ever reseated and cleaned a laptop heatsink before? Is it worth the hassle?
    Any ways around it? (Heatsink on this laptop can only be access through the keyboard panel with the DVD drive removed.)
    Thanks guys.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

To be honest with you mate, it sounds like a lot of hassle and I myself wouldn't risk it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

hassle isnt even the start of it.

honestly if you really really know what goes where and know what your doing, then it isnt the hardest thing to do. just remember its not the same as a desktop.
    i did something similiar before, well not similiar i tried to replace the processor, but it was actually harder to access it and re-assemble it than to replace it.

best of luck if you manage it and pics would be great!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone here has ever reseated and cleaned a laptop heatsink before? Is it worth the hassle?
    Any ways around it? (Heatsink on this laptop can only be access through the keyboard panel with the DVD drive removed.)
    Thanks guys.

The question is why?

I have perfromed a labotomy on a laptop before, changing the CPU. It can be done, but it's not for the faint of heart.

In your case, I would want a seriously good reason to do something like that.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,567 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

As above, why do you think reseating a heatsink is necesary?

If it really is I have to disagree with the guys above, depending on the heatsink, this is one of the easiest things to do.

Of course this is assuming the heatsink is hanging off or something? If it isn't prying it off is riskyish.

Assuming it is, buy the correct size replacement in farnell or radionics, be very careful about the height. If they don't have the correct size, digikey is your man.

Buy one with either a thermal tape patch or one without it and buy thermal glue to go with it.

Stick it back on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

What's your model of laptop?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

What's your model of laptop?

Presuming it is his own laptop he is working on then this is the spec he has from his signature link.

Laptop Specs

Dell Inspiron 6400---- Windows Vista Home Basic----
    Intel Core2Duo Processor---- 60GB Internal Hard Drive----
    1 GB DDR2 Ram---- Onboard Graphics----
    DVD-RW Drive----

the 6400s are actually not too bad, although it isn't a simple heatsink it is a one piece item that covers the cpu and the chipset in one unit and is screwed down afaik. It is still a pretty easy mod/fix IF needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

Hey guys, I really didn't supply enough information so here it all is!

The Laptop belongs to my brother. It is a HP DV1000.
    Link to an article about inside of that particular laptop.

Okay, problem is that the CPU is on average 90C, after about ten minutes of running it hits the CPU's T-Junction of 100C and turns itself off.
    So only realistic issue would be the laptops heatsink needs to be cleaned and maybe needs a fresh batch of thermal compound.

So that brings me to the conclusion... will I open it up myself or bring it in to a computer shop and let them charge (rob) €80+ off my brother?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Well if you bring it to a computer repair shop and they fook it up you have some comeback. You do it yourself and you fook it up, you've got one pissed off brother.

Hey guys, I really didn't supply enough information so here it all is!

The Laptop belongs to my brother. It is a HP DV1000.
    Link to an article about inside of that particular laptop.

Okay, problem is that the CPU is on average 90C, after about ten minutes of running it hits the CPU's T-Junction of 100C and turns itself off.
    So only realistic issue would be the laptops heatsink needs to be cleaned and maybe needs a fresh batch of thermal compound.

So that brings me to the conclusion... will I open it up myself or bring it in to a computer shop and let them charge (rob) €80+ off my brother?

tbh I think your reasoning is seriously flawed, I'd say a heatsink needing 'cleaning' or fresh thermal compound is unlikely to be the issue.

Much more likely is poor fan performance, broken fans, dust and dirt blocking the exit ports etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement