Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SEI Grants Cancelled without Warning !

Options
  • 22-09-2007 10:38pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 37

Hi all,

I am just having Geo Thermal heating and solar panls installed on a new family house we are building in the west of Ireland.

All of these expensive eco friendly systems are half installed having been ordered in August.

The first that I heard of the grants for geo thermal heating and solar panels being cancelled was on the editorial of today's Irish Independent.

From what I can ascertain, the minister announced on 3 Sept that all grants would cease on 3 Sept !

No warning or buffer for those of us who ordered and budgeted on the basis of the long publiscised grants. More importantly, , no advance warning or buffer time zone for those of us in mid completion:( .

It looks like the geo thermal grant that I budgeted for has been halved ! So I am out by €3k :mad: !
    While it seems to imply that the solar panel grant will be of the same value in the new scheme in October, the minister's press release on the green party and sei websites hints that there will be "new conditions" which will not be announced until Oct. Does anyone have any details?

Will the new grants be open to all or just those living in certain areas or with certain incomes????

Any one have any info?

I have no problem with phasing out of grants or even specifying mandatory new tecnologies for future buildings..... but they should have given fair warning and take builds in progress into account !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Boggle

If your application had already been received (prior to the date and installers did not get the letter until after the date so even they didn't know) then your fine and you'll get the previous amount but if not then your up sh*t creek and will have to make do. As far as I'm aware, geothermal has been slashed and will be phased out due to the amount of problems people have been having so the grant may be the last thing you should worry about!
    (Basically start saving for those bills and hope the night rate tariff on which its reliant doesn't get the chop cos otherwise you'll wish you stuck with oil!!)

The amounts of the grants have changed but other than that I dont think there's any difference - except installers will actually have to get trained before some date next year...

Advertisement