Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to replace my hifi - What do I get?

Options
  • 22-09-2007 8:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭

I have had a philips mini for the last few years and was very happy with it. It is now time to replace it

I really like the look of the one in the Argos catalogue.
    Panasonic AK250EBS.
    http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5133721.htm

It says its only 2x50watts. I know watts is nothing to measure it by anyway. I want it to be really loud and good for my favourite music which is dance.

Can anybody recommend me one? I have tried searching the web for decent reviews of these types of hi fis but cannot find anything!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭ruaneg

Sorry, Cant recommend any of these systems. If this is all you're looking for go to Peats and listen to a few there.

I'd highly recomend to go down the seperates route though. Buy a decent 2nd hand system for whatever you can afford.

Around 8 years ago I spent 400 quid on a mini system. Cd player started skipping after a few years. It's almost worthless now. Even if the cd player was working you wouldn't get 50 quid for it.

But with seperates I've bought stuff and have made money on most of the stuff I sold on. ie 2nd hand gear often increases in value!! Check Buyandsell hifi section..

Good luck..

PS Gernerally seperates sound MUCH better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Seconded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

Thirded!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Made the move to separates and won't be looking back. A low to mid end separate amp will have a much better sound quality and power than even a good mini hifi.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Vunderground

Google Arcam and Marantz...you will never look back.
    ``

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭zdooldreb

I want to build my first seperate sound system. Have €300-€400 to spend.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

You won't go wrong with a used Denon, Yamaha, Technics or Marantz amplifier. I'd personally buy CD player new especially if it's a multi-disk unit.

EDIT: I forgot to mention NAD amplifiers - they're quite easy to get in good condition (because they're built like tanks) and there's always a good selection on Ebay from the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

I presume you're going to concentrate on a basic Amp/CD player/Speakers setup? I'd suggest that for the amp you aim for NAD as they're easily the best of the brands listed above, after that get the best you can in CD and speakers. Happy hunting!

Advertisement