Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

learner has a few questions

Options
  • 22-09-2007 12:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭

Hey, I'm 19 and have a provisional licence and I'm looking to get my first bike. was looking at the various 125cc 2 stroke sports bikes. I've had a motocross bike in thepast so I understand some of the basics. One that caught my eye was a Cagiva Mito 125, and of course the NSR125.
    Is cagiva a decent make?
    What should I look out for with this style of Bike mechanics wise?
    Am I going to be severely stung by insurance on a bike like this? I don't want to start out on a scooter, I want a somewhat half decent bike in terms of looks and poke.
    Any help would be very much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,001 ✭✭✭Wossack

you're going to get very severely strung up by insurance - if you even get quoted

see about quotes before getting your hopes up, Aon have an online quote system, if you're afraid of the phone ;)

http://www.aonbikecare.ie/

other companies are Carole Nash, Adelaide, and Quinn Direct

• Registered Users Posts: 18,883 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Most of the full power 125 2 strokes are over the 33bhp limit for your licence. And there is no point getting a UK 12bhp model. Best bet would be to get a 250/400 bike that meets the 33bhp limit or a factory restricted big bike. But what ever you get the insurance company will love you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭Con9903

What is the factor here that is making it so difficult? Is it the lack of a full licence?

Your under 25, its your first bike and have a provisional licence. The insurance companies will screw you until you get a full licence and turn 25.

yeah i didn't think it was going to be that bad, I thought rates were getting more competitive...
    Would I have more of a chance if Iwere to go for a 4 stroke cruiser style 125? Or is it going to be a pain regardless of the bike?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

much more of a chance.

Those 125 sports bikes are quite desirable and most are close to the learner limit and some are even over it.

You will also find that the cruiser style is an easier type of bike to learn on too.

Consider the difference between getting a subaru impreza WRX and a toyota yaris as a first car.

The insurance on the wrx is going to be crazy (but you will get it) compared to the yaris.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,883 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Is there not something on the A restricted licence that you have to do your test on a bike bigger then 125? Look into getting a 250 or you'll have to hire a bike for the test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Kev_85

Get a restricted NSR125. Its group 2 insurance. Restricted its pretty slow, bout 80 mph tops. But you can take out the restricters and its a nippy enough bike. I had one a few years ago and loved it. Great looking bike.

Kev_85 wrote:
    Get a restricted NSR125. Its group 2 insurance. Restricted its pretty slow, bout 80 mph tops. But you can take out the restricters and its a nippy enough bike. I had one a few years ago and loved it. Great looking bike.
    The point though was that it would be probably more cost effective to buy a cheap cruiser style bike, that has cheap insurance, and when he has a NCB and perhaps full license, then a sports bike would be cheaper to ensure.

Who knows, he might be able to insure a _proper_ sports bike then, instead of a 125.

L.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,001 ✭✭✭Wossack

a group 2 nsr is as cheap as the cheapest cruiser to insure

however, Im still thinking around 3-4.5k to insure any group 2 bike (cg125, nsr125, vl125, gn125 whatever)

• Advertisement

hey thanks for all your replies, I'm not too pushed about the speed I just want something that looks good and has enough poke to overtake comfortably. Are there any ways that I can somehow reduce my quote, lessons etc?

Con9903 wrote:
    Are there any ways that I can somehow reduce my quote, lessons etc?
    The discounts that I know of are:
    AON :
    RoSPA Silver/Gold 30%; Aon Assessment = 25%, Axa Car policy 40% (30% named driver)

Quinn:
    Assessment = 25%; Garage 10%

CN:
    Garage 10%

Ok I would have the bike garaged every night and I have had car insurance with AXA for just over two years now.
    I got an online quote with AON for 1250 euro on a yamaha virago 125. It wouldn't be my first choice of bike but looks pretty nice and would be a good stepping stone. I aldo noticed the CBR125, what are these like, easier to insurance than a 2 stroke?

Aon don't take the garage into account.

You should ring for a quote on the CBR. I can guarantee you it will not be €1250.

€1250 on a 125 at 19 years old is pretty good from previous quotes bandied about here.

Advertisement