Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cracked Screen.

Options
  • 22-09-2007 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

Hi, hoping for some advice here, i'm not really sure about the different screen types etc . Basically my Dell Inspirion 6400 LCD screen has cracked.(my own fault) I just wanted to know what are my options now and what in everyone's opinion is the best. Below are just some of the options i was going through in my own head, please feel free to add any of your own.

(A) Send back to Dell to replace Screen.(how much would this cost, is it worth it..:confused:)
    (B) Buy replacement screen and get a computer repair shop to fit it( is there anywhere reputable that sell the same screens' as Dell)
    (C) Buy a new laptop.(:eek: )
    (D) Other.

Thanks in Advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

If it were my laptop I'd start by seriously considering (C) based on the age and condition of the laptop, especially if my warranty was up soon anyway. There are people out there who will give you money for a second hand laptop with a broken screen.

If I figured that it was worth saving then I'd probably go with option (D) by buying a screen on eBay and fitting it myself. Laptop repairs are very fiddly so don't consider this one if you've got no clue what you are doing.

Option (B) might be worth looking into as there are people out there buy used parts and do laptop repairs.

Finally, given the price of the Inspiron 6400 new I reckon that option (A) would get you past half the price of a new laptop...

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭JeanClaude

If it were my laptop I'd start by seriously considering (C) based on the age and condition of the laptop, especially if my warranty was up soon anyway. There are people out there who will give you money for a second hand laptop with a broken screen.

If I figured that it was worth saving then I'd probably go with option (D) by buying a screen on eBay and fitting it myself. Laptop repairs are very fiddly so don't consider this one if you've got no clue what you are doing.

Option (B) might be worth looking into as there are people out there buy used parts and do laptop repairs.

Finally, given the price of the Inspiron 6400 new I reckon that option (A) would get you past half the price of a new laptop...

Cheers leeroybrown, was browsing E-bay and all i could come up with was this http://cgi.ebay.ie/Samsung-LTN154X3-L01-15-4-Glossy-WXGA-Laptop-Screen_W0QQitemZ110171544766QQihZ001QQcategoryZ31569QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    It's brand new and their asking for €215 + P&P.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Check your service tag and see if its under warranty, its worth a shot, otherwise claim it under your home insurance, and yes ...believe it or not brand new laptop LCD screens do cost €215 or that amount generally....
    Besides the motherboard they're the next most expensive piece of hardware in a laptop.

Advertisement