Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster bank mastercard problems

Options
  • 22-09-2007 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭

I've had a mastercard with Ulsterbank for years, always paid on time etc etc.
    A few months ago I paid off what I believed was the balance, and sent them a letter asking them to please cancel my card and close my account.

Never heard anything back, stopped receiving statements off them, so I presumed everything was ok.

Last week I started getting calls off them, which I didn't answer as the number was witheld but they left messages saying my card was over the limit (which was now zero as the account had been closed) by 80 euro and to pay it "immediately" or further action would be taken!

I paid the balance yesterday with my laser card over the phone, and then was woken up at 9am this morning by another of those intimidating phone calls asking me why I still haven't paid it off!

I told him I paid it yesterday, and he confirmed that. No apology, nothing.

Is this the way Ulster Bank usually conduct business? Since when do banks close a credit card when there is money outstanding on it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

The 80 euro is probably the government charge X two. Still no excuse for not confirming that the account was closed. I'd say the reason you didn't get statements was because there had been no transactions on the card. I've never had dealings with Ulster Bank but from experience of banks as an employee and a customer there is no difference between them. About 17 or 18 years ago they dropped their standards of education for employees and the rot set in then. Management didn't bother with proper training and are prepared to tolerate complaints and mistakes. The profits are so huge now that they can afford to ignore them. The staff have little or no pride in their work and management are bullies.

Advertisement