Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

will i have to pay tax on dvds from uk?

Options
  • 22-09-2007 12:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 49

ordering dvds from hmv uk. value e160, would i have to pay any import tax does anybody know? thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I don't think so since it's within the EU. Amazon will usually have charged you VAT at the Irish rate when you checkout.

Open to correction by anyone more in the know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

No additional taxes will be charged within the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Rael

There is a possibility that you might be caught for tax. HMV's online operation is based in Jersey. Contrary to popular belief the Channel Islands are not part of the EU and as such items, sent from there are subject to VAT and duties.

For the last few months of last year the Revenue Commissioners through An Post targeted parcels from the Channel Islands for VAT and Import Duty, especially large sized one or ones with a large value declared on them. I know a lot of people on these boards complained about getting stung on packages from Play.com, BlahDVD etc.

I'd say you're safe enough at the moment but once October comes I'd say we'll have a repeat of last year in the run up to Christmas. I've ordered off them before and had no problems but most of my items have been under £12 in value and single item transactions.

Advertisement