Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American Laptops/ Voltage question

Options
  • 21-09-2007 11:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭

Has anyone here bought an American laptop, made for 110 volts? An adapter won't do, I'll have to buy a transformer to use it in Europe... is there any modification that can be made?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

I doubt the laptop will be a problem. Just the charger. The charger generally inputs around 24vc DC to the laptop.

As far as I can see, all that is required is a european charger. Many universal models available

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

bostonian wrote:
    Has anyone here bought an American laptop, made for 110 volts?

*raises hand*
    bostonian wrote:
    An adapter won't do, I'll have to buy a transformer to use it in Europe... is there any modification that can be made?

No you won't. 99% of laptops come with dual 110/240V power supplies. It is extremely unusual for a laptop to not have a dual-voltage transformer. So you don't need an adapter, just cut off the American plug and replace it with an Irish plug.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

I doubt the laptop will be a problem. Just the charger. The charger generally inputs around 24vc DC to the laptop.

As far as I can see, all that is required is a european charger. Many universal models available
    Incorrect.

It's exactly as tom dunne says. It'll work no problem, just change the plug to an Irish 3 pin and you'll be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭bostonian

thanks everyone for clearing that up!

Advertisement