Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus Stop on O'Connell Bridge

Options
  • 21-09-2007 10:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭

...So come on, who's brilliant idea was this to move the 4 along with other routes to stop on O'Connell Bridge, it created a lovely traffic jam like situation this morning by removing one lane from a busy road, and a knock on effect to the surrounding area.

Also cue someone threatening to throw someone else in the liffey as I walked past there today (Lets face it, it's not exactly the safest spot for a stop) and I can't really see any positive reasons for anyone to make this choice?

Will be interesting to see where the other routes park when a bendy is parked on O'Connell Bridge. Totally flawed if you ask me, it will make congestion in the City Centre worse!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Wait, what?
    The stop is actually *on* the bridge??? :-O
    You'd think Dublin Bus had had enough of the bad publicity from accidents to think better of this!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Its a silly idea,what side of the bridge is it on...?A couple of years ago the city council put a private bus stop on the bridge heading south.

I no the Gards,council and Dublin Bus have to agree on were stops go so you would think somebody would have flagged this as been a bad idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭dub_commuter

The stop is actually on the bridge, heading South to D'Olier Street.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

The stop is actually on the bridge, heading South to D'Olier Street.

Sounds like its in the same spot as the one a couple of years ago.I would not want to be waiting there for a bus on a cold winters night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dereko1969

in fairness it's not a bad spot for a stop as there is rarely traffic in the inside line, the traffic from o'connell st tends to use the other lanes as does the traffic turning off the quay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭trellheim

nasty jam there today : the issue is traffic,especially other buses right-turning off the north quays to go over the bridge - they are being squeezed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

trellheim wrote:
    nasty jam there today : the issue is traffic,especially other buses right-turning off the north quays to go over the bridge - they are being squeezed.

And that was exactly the same issue when Citylink were moved there last year.

Is there any obvious reason why this bus stop has been moved from it's previous location?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭SickCert

dereko1969 wrote:
    in fairness it's not a bad spot for a stop as there is rarely traffic in the inside line, the traffic from o'connell st tends to use the other lanes as does the traffic turning off the quay.

Most the buses stopping on Dolier st sneak up this lane to take up the left lane over the bridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭SickCert

John R wrote:
    And that was exactly the same issue when Citylink were moved there last year.

Is there any obvious reason why this bus stop has been moved from it's previous location?

Im told cycle lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭markpb

John R wrote:

I noticed today that the stretch on O'Connell St between Abbey St and Eden quay has been cordoned off with plastic barriers, reducing the inside lane by about 1.5m. God knows why. Could be boring and to facilitate the removal of the old bus stop poles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭BendiBus

It will be savage waiting for a bus there mid winter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Bee

...So come on, who's brilliant idea was this to move the 4 along with other routes to stop on O'Connell Bridge, it created a lovely traffic jam like situation this morning by removing one lane from a busy road, and a knock on effect to the surrounding area.

Also cue someone threatening to throw someone else in the liffey as I walked past there today (Lets face it, it's not exactly the safest spot for a stop) and I can't really see any positive reasons for anyone to make this choice?

Will be interesting to see where the other routes park when a bendy is parked on O'Connell Bridge. Totally flawed if you ask me, it will make congestion in the City Centre worse!

It has made congestion worse but that is the whole point of it. The moronic idiots who mis design these things whilst spouting about priortising public transport do not give a whit as long as they can show that they have made an effort in favour of public transport. No matter how badly designed it is.

These are the same idiots who mis-designed the O'Connell St re-vamp that made O'Connell St more dangerous for cyclists and has resulted in pedestrian deaths.

The bus stop is simply designed to increase traffic congestion for car users. These rabid anti private car traffic engineers are so sold on our joke public transport system that they actually thinks it is a good thing to priortise buses and to hell with any consequences.

As in previous years, having learnt nothing except that they were forced by public opinion and comments from the coroners court it will take the death of a few cyclists and a few pedestrians before anything positve is done to eliminate this latest death trap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭trellheim

Let's not forget we'll be slowing down to 30 kph too ! :rolleyes:

"Design" is a fancy word for what our public transport strategy people get up to in between their tea breaks.

[I'm overusing the word "strategy" - I know for a fact some of them have heard of it but want nothing to do with it ]

You might also be interested - seeing as we're talking about O' Connell Bridge - did you see the big construction raft [ it's taking fresh water from the hydrant on the bridge] - what are they doing there ? it looks like core samples - is it for the new bridge ?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,308 ✭✭✭✭Victor

trellheim wrote:
    You might also be interested - seeing as we're talking about O' Connell Bridge - did you see the big construction raft [ it's taking fresh water from the hydrant on the bridge] - what are they doing there ? it looks like core samples - is it for the new bridge ?
    Bore tests for the Luas bridge and Metro North.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

its coz they are doing some random crap at the old 7/4 bus stop outside bank of ireland by the looks of things, dont think it will last long

• Registered Users Posts: 78,308 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The barriers are there to create a cycle lane apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭patrickc

it's even an old stop removed from the old boi one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

it's even an old stop removed from the old boi one

Recycling. Good aul Green Party.

Advertisement