Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Complete Road Atlas of Ireland 2007 edition. Errors?

Options
  • 21-09-2007 8:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭

I notice the 2007 edition of the Ordnance Survey's Complete Road Atlas of Ireland is now available and there might be errors in it.

The Glen of the Downs section of the N11 seems to be indicated as single lane carrriageway, but is it not DC now? Also is the section of the N4 from Kinnegad to The Downs not DC too? Has anybody seen any other mistakes?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Prof_V

My impression (from a quick flick through) was that they seemed to be in two minds whether to indicate DC - it isn't mentioned in the legend. Also, I was surprised the N8 Cashel-Mitchelstown didn't show up as "under construction", considering how obvious it is on the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

yes i noticed the missing N8 stretch...came through the other day, it looks very advanced now....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

OS maps were always dreadful at showing dual carriageways. The AA produce the most accurate maps in this regard.

It's something that really annoys me actually. A DC is a much higher standard of road and it should be indicated clearly. It's the irish "shur'n it'll do" attitude again.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Michelin and AA maps are the best for showing road type and opening dates of new stretches, though Michelin have fallen a bit behind AA in terms of being up to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

murphaph wrote:
    OS maps were always dreadful at showing dual carriageways.
    [rant]
    OSi maps (all of them) are dreadful, full stop. OS NI aren't much better either. The government should just sell them lock, stock and barrel to the UK Ordnance Survey, and maybe then we'd get decent maps, not only road maps but recreational ones too.
    [/end rant]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭steve-o

Regarding crappy OS maps - why do national secondary routes (such as N81) need to be shown on every OS map with broken green and white? They look like a road under construction. Surely a different colour could be used?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

steve-o wrote:
    Regarding crappy OS maps - why do national secondary routes (such as N81) need to be shown on every OS map with broken green and white? They look like a road under construction. Surely a different colour could be used?
    They could do what the OSni does-Blue for motorways, green for primary national routes and red for non-primary. Yellow for R roads and white for unclassified.

It is (as you correctly state) international practice to show roads in planning or under construction as we show national secondaries!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

The section of the N6 from Kinnegad to Kilbeggan is also indicated as a single carriageway even though it should be DC.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

I find the Michelin maps have the clearest mapping, while all map companies (including OSI) are riddled with errors. Some recent errors I've seen include the N73 Michelstown BP shown as HQDC(??) - should be single carriageway - the Fermoy BP as dualler instead of motorway, the Cashel BP as single carriageway instead of HQDC, the Ashbourne-M50 as single carriageway, etc.

Advertisement