Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Twin Towns by-pass

Options
  • 20-09-2007 8:04pm
    Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭
    byte

So as not to take the other thread totally off topic, I've decided to start a new thread on the topic.

From what I can now gather, the lands that would need to be bought to fulfil the construction are now considerably more expensive than back when the idea was first mooted. Would this be correct?

What is the current state of play with regards to the by-pass? Or is there any?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,858 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Good man W. I think this will generate a good bit of debate.

Im on a flying visit to the PC so I will post a few comments later.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

I thought Mary Coughlan announced (before the election) :D that the compulsory purchase orders were about to be issued. The route is fixed.

As was pointed out in another thread the biggest problem with the bypass is the cost of the land. Going directly against the advice of the planners, the local councillors decided to re-zone land from agricultural to everything under the sun and these lands were locked between the old town boundary (pre 2006) and the route of the bypass.

The value quadrupled and more too in areas depending on the new zoning. god only knows when it will start. Back in 2001 the Council had a big press launch for the project which was also part of the public consultation process. At that time the plan was to have the bypass up and running by now but they havent even got round to buying the land yet.

The last I heard was that the CPO's would proceed within the next couple of months (now where did I hear that before :mad: ) and that works would commence late next year - 2008 with a completion date of 2011.

No matter what happens its going to be at least 4 years before we see a car on the new bypass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

smashey wrote:
    I thought Mary Coughlan announced (before the election) :D that the compulsory purchase orders were about to be issued. The route is fixed.

I agree with you, and I think the E.U. will force the local land interest greedy fat pigs including the politicians to comply with the best interest of the Twin -Towns and North - West as a whole.

P. :cool:

Paddy20 wrote:
    I agree with you, and I think the E.U. will force the local land interest greedy fat pigs including the politicians to comply with the best interest of the Twin -Towns and North - West as a whole.

The EU doesnt come into the equation in relation to the landowners or politicians.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

muffler wrote:
    The EU doesnt come into the equation in relation to the landowners or politicians.

Rubbish, the E.U, will eventually kick this country into line, and stop the corruption and political shenanigans, and the Twin - Towns bypass is on line to bypass the old fashioned narrow minded idiots who are thankfully being pushed aside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭donegalman1

We talk of financial red tape with this project. I think you'll find paddy that many now find european intervention a pain in many aspects of ordinary life and were they to find a piece of bog along that route the whole thing would probably be shelved. No one does red tape like the EU

I agree that its local politicians and land owners and the EU will have nothing to do whatsoever with the progress of the road.

Advertisement