Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SGA: Season 4, Episode 1: Adrift [WARNING SPOILERS]

Options
  • 20-09-2007 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭

Has anyone else cought this episode yet?

I thought it was decent but it didnt move fast enough for my liking. Predictable but when i saw that metorite storm i could have sworn it was a fleet of ship (like the huge fleet in Star Trek Voager (SE04E2 (I Think)))

Anyway I thought carter looked allot older this year and to me i cant remember if it was episode 1 or 2 but i noticed there where trying to imply that Becket works allot better without Mckay around.

Rate This Episode 26 votes

Amazing
    0% 0 votes
    Good
    11% 3 votes
    Ok
    53% 14 votes
    Bad
    30% 8 votes
    Terrible - OMFG It Cant Get Any Worse
    3% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭alastair_doom

Wasn't a bad ep, i just didn't enjoy it much.

Every 5 minutes it seemed like there was another reason they were going to die, and it was solved just as fast. There was no real feeling of peril, because the scientists in the show are raised to superhuman status.
    It felt like the equivalent of someone firing a gun at superman, sure it looks bad, but you knew everything was going to be perfect.

Too much unbelievable science, too much unbelievable technology. On the bright side, it looks like they'll get back to the basics of just shooting things, and in fairness, who wouldn't enjoy that?

I thought last seasons cliff hanger ending was quite boring (compared to the usual season finale of a fleet heading towards earth/Atlantis) and left the writers with 45 minutes to fill in the season opener. A bad season opener can really wreck a shows audience share for the season, and chances of renewal as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

they wont decide until renewl till mid season which by then we will have all the charactors into there new roles

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

How can you get 0 in asteroids? Even my one year old nephew can hit the firebutton once....

Not a bad episode, above average.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Lots of obvious and very predictable things here as posted. TBH it did feel like any plot device that could be used was thrown in. Personally found it weak enough as an episode and agree that Carter does now look her age, which is not to say it's a bad thing. It adds gravitas to her impending role. Still it almost felt like they approached it as "Here's a new series so we need to throw everyone we can into it, doing something whatever that may be". Even so judging from the clips shown on Sky it should settle down. The fact that they only have to worry about one show should in theory help Atlantis.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Felt it was reasonable and everyone played their part adequately - bit like what's been said, in that it seemed they took care to doll out the roles for everyone as if showcasing. Couldn't do too much for Tey-lo and Ronon but then when can they...

Did those of you who watched the early "preview" edition not get distracted by the lack of sound? For those who didn't, the preview screener had only the dialogue on the audio track - all the instrumental pieces were absent as were the sound effects added in post production (e.g. there was no sound off any of the paddles or the computers when trying to revive Weir).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Berns

Well ya somehow knew there was gonna be problems getting somewhere after the satellite hit em. Hadda laugh at Rodney goin on about once one problem gets solved another pop's up. Am lookin forward to the next episode though... if they go ahead with attackin replicator homeworld.
    Whats the chances Weir is involved somehow, be it goin there and the nanites be reactivated or they communicate with her on atlantis while a team is tryin to get the ZPM's :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Bit meh for the second part of what will be at least a 3 parter. Carter phoned in the role but seeing as she is only there coz the studio still had her for 1 year longer on her contact that the rest of the SG1 cast it not much of a surprise.

To many impeding doom elements to take anything seriously and the cop out of Weirs hair growing back exactly as it was removes the whole point of showing her (stand in's ) head being shaved. Lack of the funny from McKay didnt go down well either. Still its nice to have Stargate back on the monitor again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭bada_bing

just wondering if anyone has any subtitles for this episode, my cousin forgot to send me the subtitles with the video in the post!!!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

I quite liked it. Yeah everything seemed to go wrong at once but it kept things moving along nicely.

Being a three parter almost always makes the middle part a bit weak as it's job is mostly to set up the third part, which should be kinda cool.

And it's nice to have SG:A back, even if carter is going to be involved for the next season.

ixoy wrote:
    Felt it was reasonable and everyone played their part adequately - bit like what's been said, in that it seemed they took care to doll out the roles for everyone as if showcasing. Couldn't do too much for Tey-lo and Ronon but then when can they...

Did those of you who watched the early "preview" edition not get distracted by the lack of sound? For those who didn't, the preview screener had only the dialogue on the audio track - all the instrumental pieces were absent as were the sound effects added in post production (e.g. there was no sound off any of the paddles or the computers when trying to revive Weir).

Those paddles without the sound where very funny, got a good laugh out of watching it with no sound, i felt it didn't lose much with no sound and watching the episode i was getting my SG fix and i also found the episode to be much more re watchable with the sound when it came out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

It was ok, not that great.
    Nice to see Carter in the credits right away, no messing around.
    They overdid the crisis after crisis bit.
    Didn't really need the Carter/Lee bits, felt like they were trying to
    squash too much into one episode to me.
    The asteroids in jumpers part was good and the space jump. :D
    An ok start, now onto part 2 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I really enjoyed it, and am starting to enjoy McKay's character even more. Radek seems to have more of a prominent role this time around, which is good, and as a season opener, I think it wasn't a bad episode at all.

Now that Carter is no longer front-line personnel she's had a chance to re-do her image, specifically her hair is much longer now, and you can see how the director wanted to surprise us in the midway station sequence. You see her body, then her face, and her hair as a surprise at the very end. Obviously, it builds us up subconsciously to accept her administrative role from now on.

Can't wait for the rest of the season!

ned78 wrote:
    I really enjoyed it, and am starting to enjoy McKay's character even more. Radek seems to have more of a prominent role this time around, which is good, and as a season opener, I think it wasn't a bad episode at all.

Now that Carter is no longer front-line personnel she's had a chance to re-do her image, specifically her hair is much longer now, and you can see how the director wanted to surprise us in the midway station sequence. You see her body, then her face, and her hair as a surprise at the very end. Obviously, it builds us up subconsciously to accept her administrative role from now on.

Can't wait for the rest of the season!

Me neither some of the episodes sound very good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Moe Lester

very good episode i say. few really good parts in this one overall it was a good start for the season and worked very well with dr.weir aswell.

liked this episode cause there was alot of arguing about the nanites that makay activated in wier, just goes to show you that he will do what he thinks is right for anybody and not compremise atlantis for anyones life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭triple h

I voted Terrible - oh my freaking god It Cant Get Any Worse ----

I will tell you why
    First of all i loved the first two seasons. full stop.
    Third season i raised my left eyebrow.
    Season 4 ( well in fairness i have only seen the first episode) ---- I am afraid atlantis is going down the star trek road. Don't get me wrong i loved star trek ( DS9 - winner for me) but the powers that be stopped making Star Trek cause they were stuck and had no new ideas, so it was better to quit. I did not like it at first when i heard ST was to be axed from our tv sets but it was the right thing to do.

Atlantis, well i will give the next episode or two a chance and if i do not see good tv i will give up watching it.

Lets face it people the writers look like they are stuck. I watch Stargate to see the gate been used. Star ships was star trek stuff. It was done in star trek at first really well, but then it was nearly beaten to an inch of it's life in Enterprise and that's when Paramount knew the star ship days was numbered.

To ad a bit to my last post about 'how the days of star ships treking across the the universe are numbered '

At the end of this first episode we have the team stuck in the middle of nowhere and the ship ( city) is heading towards the replicator home world. You know what came into my head straight away "wooooooooo, i am afraid, even though i have seen this a million times in star trek and i am still afraid"
    Come on atlantis writers do you take us for idiots. You are just laughing at us now.

P.S.. in the last episode of the third season Ronan said he felt left out cause he and Teyla did not have anything to do. That was ok. Then we hear that non essential personal were taken off the city. Thats ok, good call people. Then what, after the non essential personal are gone we still see Ronan and teyla walking around the city doing nothing. Writers of atlantis, I have news for you Ronan and Teyla are non essential personal. This reminds me of the stupid reason Star trek writers come up with for reuniting the crew for ONE MORE MISSION in the movie.
    Now in the first episode here, we have Teyla walking around saying stupid stuff and Ronan taking up a bed in hospital. These two should not even be on the station. In a circus you cannot have the clowns doing everything and Ronan and Teyla look like two clowns right now doing an act they are not able for. It's not their fault ( i like these two characters), the writers are at fault.
    That is how i know Atlantis is going down hill. sorry to say this, but it looks to be true.

Use the stargate not starships.
    I might email this to the writers, if i can.

To ad a bit to my last post about 'how the days of star ships treking across the the universe are numbered '

At the end of this first episode we have the team stuck in the middle of nowhere and the ship ( city) is heading towards the replicator home world. You know what came into my head straight away "wooooooooo, i am afraid, even though i have seen this a million times in star trek and i am still afraid"
    Come on atlantis writers do you take us for idiots. You are just laughing at us now.

P.S.. in the last episode of the third season Ronan said he felt left out cause he and Teyla did not have anything to do. That was ok. Then we hear that non essential personal were taken off the city. Thats ok, good call people. Then what, after the non essential personal are gone we still see Ronan and teyla walking around the city doing nothing. Writers of atlantis, I have news for you Ronan and Teyla are non essential personal. This reminds me of the stupid reason Star trek writers come up with for reuniting the crew for ONE MORE MISSION in the movie.
    Now in the first episode here, we have Teyla walking around saying stupid stuff and Ronan taking up a bed in hospital. These two should not even be on the station. In a circus you cannot have the clowns doing everything and Ronan and Teyla look like two clowns right now doing an act they are not able for. It's not their fault ( i like these two characters), the writers are at fault.
    That is how i know Atlantis is going down hill. sorry to say this, but it looks to be true.

Use the stargate not starships.
    I might email this to the writers, if i can.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Good episode....and like the first part, it seemed a good sign of things to come.

Advertisement