Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell Vostro, 15 or 17 inch screen?

Options
  • 19-09-2007 11:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭

I'm buying my first laptop, I've decided on the Dell Vostro. For essentially the same money I can get a slightly higher spec'd Vostro 1700 with a 17' UltraSharp Wide Screen WUXGA (1900x1200) TFT Display with TrueLife with a built in 2mp camera, compared to the Vostro 1500 and its 15.4' Wide Screen WXGA+ (1440 x 900) Display with TrueLife and no camera.

What do you guys reckon, is there a noticeable difference lugging a 17inch laptop about over a 15inch? Which one would you go for if you had the choice?

One advantage the Vostro 1500 has over the 1700 is that it comes with Vista Ultimate, whereas the 1700 only comes with Vista Business.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

if you have to carry it daily id go lighter again and get a 14.1 inch or a 13.3inch
    or even a 12.1 inch if you can handle the smaller keyboard
    depends on the person too,some people could carry a 17inch without complaining,others find it a chore to move it from one room to the next
    bat life will be crap with a 17,smaller screens use less power

• Registered Users Posts: 10,402 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I was in same situation when i was buying mine... I went with the 15", it's plenty big for me... The laptop is actually quite heavy, I'm not moving mine around much, but when you do you do notice the weight, so if you get a 17" it'll be even heavier...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Well I have a 17" inspiron and while it is heavy, it doesn't bother me that much. I have a back pack for it and bring it in to college every day. The only time I notice the weight is when taking it out of the bag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

Guys, thanks for the input. In the end I went with the 15.4' Vostro 1500 because the 17' is supposedly a fairly bulky bastard compared to standard 17' laptops.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Nephew wrote:
    Guys, thanks for the input. In the end I went with the 15.4' Vostro 1500 because the 17' is supposedly a fairly bulky bastard compared to standard 17' laptops.

Enjoy. Those vostros are meant to be great laptops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,402 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Enjoy. Those vostros are meant to be great laptops.

They are, they really are...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

delllat wrote:
    if you have to carry it daily id go lighter again and get a 14.1 inch or a 13.3inch
    or even a 12.1 inch if you can handle the smaller keyboard
    depends on the person too,some people could carry a 17inch without complaining,others find it a chore to move it from one room to the next
    bat life will be crap with a 17,smaller screens use less power

If you have to carry it a lot, then go with 14". Personally I wouldn't go smaller as I like working on big screens. I've a 17" but I don't carry it far. Battery life is about 2.5hrs.

Advertisement