Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Publishers in Ireland

Options
  • 19-09-2007 8:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if there was a list of publishers who enjoy fictional novels with mostly Irish content somewhere?

My novel is going to be finished this side of Christmas (barring a horrible case of writers block) and I'd like to start sending it out to some publishers who may be interested. The novel is set in Ireland but isn't specifically aimed at an exclusively Irish audience.

When sending out copy to publishers, what's the preferred method? I remember hearing writers talk about how expensive it was to send out all the manuscripts to various publishers, is it now acceptable to send out a cd?

Thanks for any advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Just wondering if there was a list of publishers who enjoy fictional novels with mostly Irish content somewhere?

My novel is going to be finished this side of Christmas (barring a horrible case of writers block) and I'd like to start sending it out to some publishers who may be interested. The novel is set in Ireland but isn't specifically aimed at an exclusively Irish audience.

When sending out copy to publishers, what's the preferred method? I remember hearing writers talk about how expensive it was to send out all the manuscripts to various publishers, is it now acceptable to send out a cd?

Thanks for any advice

I can only suggest the Writers and Artists Yearbook - avail in bookshops & libraries. There is advice in there also about the best format for submission. Some publishers prefer different formats. Generally though I think its recommended to submit a one-page summary and the first 2 chapters, rather than the entire manuscript.
    Good luck with it!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

So far the only Irish based publisher that sounds like it's interesting in the genre I deal with is Penguin Ireland, and thankfully they have very clear submission guidelines on their website. www.penguin.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

A definite no to the CD idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

smcgiff wrote:
    A definite no to the CD idea.

Really? That's a pity... thought somebody might enjoy reading off a nice bright screen :p

Advertisement