Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bonmahon

Options
  • 18-09-2007 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

I used to see a homeless man in Bonmahon every summer as i drove through it, i did not see him this year. Anyone known is he still around? He used to be in Waterford city a lot a few years ago, but then vanished.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Never seen him in my life! First I heard of it to, id imagine he is there only in the summer as the place is like a ghost town during the winter!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Wasnt there a homeless chap hit by a car and killed around the Dunhill area a few months ago ? That wouldnt have been him ?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭navalus

I hope it was not him, i only know his first name it was Michael.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭paul666

http://archives.tcm.ie/waterfordnews/2006/11/16/story23905.

Man (68) died after being hit by passing car

A 68 YEAR-OLD man was tragically killed in a traffic accident in the past week while walking on the road between Kill and Bonmahon.

Michael Vousden from Kil-duane, Bonmahon died at the scene of the accident, which occurred at Sleveen, Kill at 7.05am last Friday, November 10.

The car, which struck him, was travelling in the direction of Waterford.

The driver, who was deeply traumatised by the accident, was on the way to work at the time.

Weather conditions were dark and misty.

Mr Vousden was a single man and lived alone. He was a well-known figure on the roads in the area.

as far as i am aware he was homeless because at his funeral there was a collection for the simon community.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭kensutz

I guess it's the guy who had the high pitched voice and wore the beret. Used to serve him when he was out in Ardkeen for whatever he was doing out there and he was always nice to everyone out there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Mystery solved :(

Interesting name its proberly Flanders in origin.

Mike.

Yes thats him, i remember him in Waterford city library years ago, he used to read the books out aloud, he was in the hostel in Lady Lane for a while. Thanks for the information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭jaxy999

Some locals in Bonmahon are at the moment planning to raise money and erect a memorial to Michael in the village, which is a very nice thing to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭superweld

yeah i remember him, white beard on him. poor chap.

Anyone know where he used to live?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭jaxy999

He was living in some kind of a pre-fab cabin on the Bonmahon to Kill road that the council provided for him if I remember correctly. You wouldn't see the cabin from the road, it was partially hidden in a small field. I don't know who owned the land, must have been the council.

Thanks for that information

I see there is still no memorial in Bonmahon to Michael, i wonder whats taking so long? A small brass plaque on the bench he used to sit on would be appropriate.

Advertisement