Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying cigarettes online

Options
  • 18-09-2007 10:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭

Ive come across a few websites while surfing the web and they offer ciggies at pretty affordable prices, Im a little confused though as I cant find info anywhere to see if its illegal to get them shipped to Ireland. Im looking to buy for myself, not for resale, and yes I know I should give up, its a filthy habit etc etc but hope someone can shed some light on the subject so I dont get arrested or conned...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

afaik you need to accompany the cigarettes into the country if you're not to pay duty on them.
    I don't think you'd be arrested but they would either be confiscated or you'd need to pay the duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I think you can get some legally without paying duty, think it has to be within the EU. I remember in bargain alerts some people setup standing orders for say 6 months, and got a pack of 20 in the post every single day!

There is nothing really illegal if it is all declared and above board, you are liable for duty, you can check the government websites for how much duty you are liable to pay. BUT the duty on a 20 pack is only going to be €7 max, and the administration costs involved in opening and closing the pack, valuation, setting up the paper work, invoicing and collecting the duty due means that it is not worth their while. And I think legally they might have to do it on each and every pack you get in each day (not certain though).

So even if it is outside the EU I doubt you will be charged on a 20pack.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement