Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RE Qualification for PGCE Graduates?

Options
  • 18-09-2007 9:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi all,

I have been searching through the threads but can't seem to find anything on this.

Does anybody know if there are requirements for PGCE Primary graduates from the UK to complete an RE course in the same way that the SCG has to be done?

I have just started a PGCE Primary course and the uni I am in does an RE course but I am not sure if I have to do it or not to teach at home. I heard a rumour that there is a new regulation that says overseas graduates have to do it.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 alib

Hi dkelly83,
    I don't have any official info for you, sorry.
    Just wondering which college you are studying in? I'm looking into doing the PGCE also and would think that any ones that have the catholic cert in religious studies would be best if you want to come home to teach here.

It may not be a requirement (yet) in order to teach here, but the way I see it is that it can't hurt, and any additional qualifications like that could only be a bonus when returning to Ireland and looking for a job...

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭kittex

The rules differ slightly in England and Scotland as far as I know.

I trained in Scotland and if you wish to hold a permanent post in a Primary school there you must a) be a Catholic and b) have completed the Catholic Teacher Formation module. This module is all about preparing for communion and the Alive-O Curriculum etc, so I'd say it's pretty relevant to applying to jobs back in Ireland too.

You can work as supply in a Catholic primary in Scotland without the above criteria.

I'd advise you check out http://www.cesew.org.uk/index.asp?id=1 if it's England you're in, http://www.sces.uk.com/ if you're training in Scotland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 dkelly83

Thanks guys. I'm in liverpool Hope and they do offer a course but I've heard it is going to be running on Saturdays which doesn't suit 'cos I have some flights booked home.

I'm going home at the end of the year and just want to sort things out now so I don't get any nasty shocks when I go applying for jobs.....!:)

Advertisement