Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Car Key - Rip off?

Options
  • 18-09-2007 2:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭

My girlfriend has a 97 Ford Fiesta. She lost one of the keys and has enquired about a new one. SHe has been quoted a whopping EUR130 for the new key. The car hasn't got central locking so there's no issue of a central locking chip in the key. This seems excessive. Is it?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

The fiesta has a code set within the key and that is why its so expensive!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Did she get the quote from a main dealer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

smashey wrote:
    Did she get the quote from a main dealer?

not sure! I'll ask her.

EDIT: She says she got the quote off a main dealer alright, and that whoever she got the quote off are the only people who do it.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

As has been mentioned its because of a chip in the fob. Car wont start without it. This site gives more info and you can buy them there, but not a heck of a lot cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭patpark121

Any Ford dealer can do an immobiliser key for a Fiesta. - You may have to ring ahead to see if thay have the blank in stock to cut.
    If its a 97 chances are she was given 2 standard keys & a red master key?
    Is she was then it's only a matter of getting a blank cut & programming the key to the immobiliser yourself (its all in the owners manual)Between the blank & getting it cut should cost no more than 70 euro.

If she doesn't have the red master key, then the garage can almost literally charge what they want.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Can't you just get a simple key cut that opens the door?

patpark121 wrote:
    Any Ford dealer can do an immobiliser key for a Fiesta. - You may have to ring ahead to see if thay have the blank in stock to cut.
    Is she was then it's only a matter of getting a blank cut & programming the key to the immobiliser yourself (its all in the owners manual)Between the blank & getting it cut should cost no more than 70 euro.

If she doesn't have the red master key, then the garage can almost literally charge what they want.

Hi, think she's missing the master key and one of the standard keys!!! Thanks for the reply, I'll pass it on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭peteburnshndbag

patpark121 wrote:

OMG i have spent the last 2 years putting a pole behind my ford mondeo 96 every night for fear of it being nicked. I have a RED master key and 2 balck keys.. does this mean i have an immoblilzer?? I never even thought that i could have one in a car this old.. Does anyone know ?>?

And, does anyone know where you can look at mondeo user manuals on the web for free?? Cause i never got one when i bought mine 2nd hand..

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Sounds about right- a ripoff but not surprising. I would imagine there are online places that will do it cheap, you would need some sort of code.

OMG i have spent the last 2 years putting a pole behind my ford mondeo 96 every night for fear of it being nicked. I have a RED master key and 2 balck keys.. does this mean i have an immoblilzer?? I never even thought that i could have one in a car this old.. Does anyone know ?>?

And, does anyone know where you can look at mondeo user manuals on the web for free?? Cause i never got one when i bought mine 2nd hand..

thanks

Yep, should do. All Fords after 95 had the 3 key system for immobiliser.
    Check your 2 standard keys, they should have either red or blue squares on the top of the key, if they have it means they're chipped for an immobiliser.
    Also there should be a flashing led beside the dash clock, when the key is inserted the led stops. After 99 Fords came with 2 keys only & the keys are electronically programmed in house.
    This doesn't mean that a tech savvy crook still won't go with your motor, in extreme cases it will only slow him/her down. On the positive side it does give a minor (very minor) reduction in insurance premium.

As for the manual, best bet is to try a breakers yard for a freebee.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭vms7ply9t6dw4b

My girlfriend has a 97 Ford Fiesta. She lost one of the keys and has enquired about a new one. SHe has been quoted a whopping EUR130 for the new key. The car hasn't got central locking so there's no issue of a central locking chip in the key. This seems excessive. Is it?

Sounds excessive for a 10 year old car im pretty sure most locksmiths can cut the ford keys these days. Ring around.

Oh its 250 for a new key for my mazda so dont feel too bad!

Sounds excessive for a 10 year old car im pretty sure most locksmiths can cut the ford keys these days. Ring around.

Oh its 250 for a new key for my mazda so dont feel too bad!

Might sound like a silly question but do you mean any kind of locksmith of are there speciality ones!!!

Any locksmith can probably cut the car key but they cannot program it. It is an expensive piece of kit to stock and in reality not in overly huge demand. The key they cut will only allow to lock and unlock the door, boot etc.
    If there is a speciality motor shop in your area like motorstore (when the were around), chances are they can do the lot, don't expect bargain basement prices though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭peteburnshndbag

patpark121 wrote:
    Yep, should do. All Fords after 95 had the 3 key system for immobiliser.
    Check your 2 standard keys, they should have either red or blue squares on the top of the key, if they have it means they're chipped for an immobiliser.
    Also there should be a flashing led beside the dash clock, when the key is inserted the led stops. After 99 Fords came with 2 keys only & the keys are electronically programmed in house.
    This doesn't mean that a tech savvy crook still won't go with your motor, in extreme cases it will only slow him/her down. On the positive side it does give a minor (very minor) reduction in insurance premium.

As for the manual, best bet is to try a breakers yard for a freebee.

Thanks for replying, and sorry for asking on this thread.. but you say that a tech savvy crook could still nick an immobilized car.. how can they do this, i thought the only way to start one is with the KEY.. Or is it possible to start a car with immobilizer without the key??

And i just looked at my standard key (black one) and it does have a red square on top.. But theres also a circular button in the key that i never noticed before (as i dont use this one, its a spare, i use the RED key).. When i press the button a light flashes on the key, is this just in case you have an alarm fitted??

And am i meant to use the Master key (RED) for driving the car, as i have done since i bought it 2 year ago.. Tonight is the first time i've took that black spare key out since i got the car..

Thanks

Thanks for replying, and sorry for asking on this thread.. but you say that a tech savvy crook could still nick an immobilized car.. how can they do this, i thought the only way to start one is with the KEY.. Or is it possible to start a car with immobilizer without the key??

And i just looked at my standard key (black one) and it does have a red square on top.. But theres also a circular button in the key that i never noticed before (as i dont use this one, its a spare, i use the RED key).. When i press the button a light flashes on the key, is this just in case you have an alarm fitted??

And am i meant to use the Master key (RED) for driving the car, as i have done since i bought it 2 year ago.. Tonight is the first time i've took that black spare key out since i got the car..

Thanks

Technically the red key should only be used for programming extra or replacement keys. If this key gets damaged it will cost pretty much what colonel sanders said on the original thread or more. You should keep it in a safe place and use the standard keys.
    The immobiliser works by generating a numbered code everytime the key is turned in the ignition, the key chip reads this responds to the immobiliser & presto the engine management allows you to start. The early models used smaller number cycles in other words the random generation was limited & so someone with a knowledge of electronics & a good laptop & RF equipment could in theory bypass the immobiliser code, but it would still take a hell of a while....
    Newer models, say from 2000 on have more complex digital coding systems that are capable of generating hundreds of thousands(if not millions) of possible sequences, again in theory making them more difficult to steal.

As for the circular button on the key. If its for an alarm, chances are you would have discovered it by now, do the hazard lights flash when it's pressed? If they do then it could be remote central locking( depends on model spec you have) or an alarm.
    It's more than likely a clear light when pressed. If this is so, i'ts just a means of finding the lock on a very dark night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Dr Lektroluv

There's a place in Blanchardstown Centre -part of the dry cleaners (Beside Kays Kitchen downstairs) that cut car keys WITH transponder included for €45. I got one cut there for my opel astra (same kinda thing - needs transponder chip to start engine) for that price €45. Seems like great value compared to what the dealers charge (Opel quoted me €120)

There's a place in Blanchardstown Centre -part of the dry cleaners (Beside Kays Kitchen downstairs) that cut car keys WITH transponder included for €45. I got one cut there for my opel astra (same kinda thing - needs transponder chip to start engine) for that price €45. Seems like great value compared to what the dealers charge (Opel quoted me €120)

Must admit I never bothered getting an extra key cut however for the sake of EUR45 I might well now! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 18,946 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If you don't have the master key then they are no good. They will be able to cut the key put I doubt that they can program it. Also it's not a very good idea that a dry cleaners can reprogram car keys.

With some cars if you loose the master key, as well as the non master keys, you have to get the ECU reprogamed and that will cost a fortune!!

Advertisement