Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Note to a Critic (poem)

Options
  • 18-09-2007 1:36pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This one might be a little controversial! Or not... I showed some of my old poems to a fella I know, who considered himself a bit of an expert on the art. After 20 minutes he had come up with 3 pages of perceived errors, inaccuracies and ideas for improvement. Having read some of his poems myself, I found his advice hypocritical in the extreme! So in my displeasure I wrote this. The rest is up to you Boardsies!

A Note to a Critic

Is it your wish to see
    Feelings flow in fluid motion,
    Like the river
    Restricted by its banks and walls
    And harnessed for greedy purposes?
    Or, like raindrops dripping
    On a window to a steady beat,
    Falling to the mossy concrete ground
    And turning to mud as they are tainted?
    Or perhaps controlled like an actor’s tears,
    Mere aesthetics for you enjoyment
    And lacking substance like mist in the headlights?

Why should expression be reined in,
    Subjected to your suspect licence
    So that you can take pleasure from the
    Ornate niceties of lovely lyrics?
    The message is more important,
    That is the long and that is the short of it,
    Not to be limited by the length of lines
    To please a casual merchant of rhymes.

Tommy Collins

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Any opinions at all..?

Advertisement