Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Senior cert exam after break of 9 years

Options
  • 18-09-2007 12:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hi

I'm hoping to sit my senior cert exam in Piano next May but I haven't actually sat an exam (or played that much) in 9 years when I did my Grade 8 in theory and practice.

What are people's views on going back to do an exam after a gap as long as that?

Are there any good websites that might refresh my memory about some of the theory?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Pianist2891

Hi there

As an examiner for the RIAM, and also someone who has taught several students who have returned to piano performance (as well as exams) after a gap of several years, I have quite a few things I could help you out with here on the boards, however, at the risk of boring everyone to tears, and also sounding like a pompous git, maybe if you have some specific questions or concerns you could ask them here?

Personally I do think you should do the Gold recital cert exam before the senior cert - the recital cert is a very beneficial idea for someone who hasn't done a traditional grade exam in a few years, and who wants to get some idea of the standard of their playing...the own choice programming also gives you freedom, you can play your senior cert pieces, or combine two of them with something else. You don't have scales/sight-reading/ear tests in the recital exam and can hence focus on performance only, and get constructive feedback (and marks) on the pieces you present.

I imagine if you want to do the senior cert practical in May, you could do the recital either this november or then in feb. I think once you actually get a performance opportunity like that out of the way (also, it will be conducted by the same examiner that examines grade exam students, at the same venues, and in the same way!) you might be less nervous for your senior cert. You can also then focus on the theory and technical side of the senior cert which is demanding enough.

Read the thread below about the Piano Circle, you are welcome to join and also play some of your chosen pieces at an upcoming meeting.

Any other specific questions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Jean05

Hi,

If you do have any pointers about the Senior Cert, I be delighted to hear them.

When you mentioned the gold medal recital I realised that I didn't do the Grade 8 theory. I have 2 certificates at home and while one's for the Grade 8pratical piano exam, the other's the gold medal cert, which I did the same year.
    I suppose I could do it again, I've heard of people re-doing exams after a long gap.

I think the last theory exam I did was grade 6, and I suppose I'd have to sit the grade 7 and 8 exams to bring it up to the same standard as my practical. (I hope to do the diploma once I've done this so that's my goal here.) I feel the Associated Board theory books are pretty heavy going though... Can you recommend any theory resources that might be a bit easier / user friendly.
    Otherwise, I don't think I really do have any specific questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Pianist2891

Hi there! You could certainly do the gold medal cert again, or even better still, attempt the ABRSM Performance Assessment (own choice of programme, you get a cert but no marks - just a comment sheet with critical feedback on your pieces).

You definately need to ensure your playing and theory is at a reasonably high standard for the diploma - for some reason the RIAM is very quick to fail dip students - but the problem is students who appear for the diploma don't really know what sort of standard they need to be at.

As for theory books, don't worry about the AB theory grade books, but I very highly recommend Eric Taylor's two books the AB guide to music theory part 1 & 2. Also Butterworth (can't remember first name) HArmony books are good...
    Solving sample papers from both RIAM and ABRSM grade exams will be very useful, and if you have nobody to correct them, let me know!!

All the best.

Advertisement