Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LCD screen question

Options
  • 18-09-2007 2:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭

Right I have a HP NC4000 laptop. Getting it fixed, the Polish technician removed the screen and showed me the back of it. The back of the screen was basically blank but for a single part that went along the bottom of it, which had cables connected to the graphics card/motherboard etc. He said I needed to get this part replaced, that I could get it for €20 on eBay, but that he didn't know the English for the part. He said it was a technical term that he knew the Polish for and its meaning roughly translated to shining the light down.

I've been searching Google for the name of it, or even something that looks like it. I stumbled across inverters.

0510a107.gif

Now the part definitely looks like that. But I looked up what inverters were on Wikipedia and it seems to do more with changing currents than dealing with screens.

Can anyone tell me if this is what I'm looking for?

Thanks,
    Ibid

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Ibid wrote:
    its meaning roughly translated to shining the light down.

Just going on this but it wouldn't be a back light?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

it is indeed an inverter, it changes the base currents from the mobo/dc-dc conv to a higher current that is needed to run a lcd, basically.

you can get a bit of a shock from these if you dont know what your doing as most have some handling precaution logo on them.

they all work along the same principle, just get onto a computer repair shop and get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

legs11 wrote:
    you can get a bit of a shock from these if you dont know what your doing as most have some handling precaution logo on them.
    Yeah I'll be popping back to him to finish the job. To be honest I feel like pimping his business - it only cost €20 for him to open it up and find the problem, tell me what to do etc. It's just a pity his English (which was good) wasn't perfect!
    they all work along the same principle, just get onto a computer repair shop and get one.
    Cool. I see one on eBay for the NC4000 for €20 delivered. I presume it has to be for the specific model? And I doubt I'd beat €20 in town etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

i got no idea man

i would have to have a look myself, you could try getting one for 20 quid and see does it work, just take off the screws housing for the lcd front end and dig out the old inverter and see does it fit? the connectors might be wrong. you should look for one specific for your model id say

Sorry the one on ebay is for my model. What I was asking was if I could get a generic one in town and not bother with the postage wait. Doesn't matter now, it's only going to take about five days.

Thanks for the help, much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Ibid wrote:
    Yeah I'll be popping back to him to finish the job. To be honest I feel like pimping his business - it only cost €20 for him to open it up and find the problem, tell me what to do etc. It's just a pity his English (which was good) wasn't perfect!

If you think he did a good job and would recommend him to others, there is a sticky at the top of the forum, imaginatively titled "Places to get your laptop repaired".

TBH, we could do with a few good recommendations.

tom dunne wrote: »
    If you think he did a good job and would recommend him to others, there is a sticky at the top of the forum, imaginatively titled "Places to get your laptop repaired".
    Only saw this post now. Am going to wait until I had the laptop working perfectly again until I pimp.

So I bought the wrong part. Seems it's not an inverter I need (though that's what I bought).

The bit that's broken is right behind the screen. I've attached a couple of pics. What you're looking at is the back of the screen folded onto the keyboard. Can anyone tell me what it's called and my chances of getting it replaced via eBay etc?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭TommyGun

Ibid,
    Unless its the cable that is damaged you may have to get a replacment LCD.

What was wrong with it in the first place - No picture, faded screen etc?

The only real problems these have it the backlight going. We used to replace the LCD.

Oh ye if your saying the electronices is damaged where the cable is incerted into, this is part of the LCD and can not be fixed.

TommyGun wrote: »
    Ibid,
    Unless its the cable that is damaged you may have to get a replacment LCD.
    Feck :).
    What was wrong with it in the first place - No picture, faded screen etc?
    No picture sometimes, perfect picture other times (though rare).
    The only real problems these have it the backlight going. We used to replace the LCD.
    I think it's probably a problem with the backlight because sometimes it works? Would that make sense. The technician fella pressed hard on the part and pointed out that it worked when you did this, but said it wasn't the cables and the best thing to do was replace the part.

Anyone got tips for the next step? :(

• Advertisement

Sorry for coming back so late. If the picture is perfect sometimes. this does sound like the cable, as usualy with an LCD if breaks thats it. There are a few exceptions ie lines on the screen this can come and go but the LCD is still crocked.

Advertisement