Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

study tips!

Options
  • 17-09-2007 11:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭

Okay well just got into 3rd yr myself ans im fairly brickin it!the teachers are non stop about the exams and trying to get the course done...anyway just wondering what tips would those who did it in june have for someone like myself?please help I havent a clue where to start!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Make specific goals. Don't sit down and go "alright, gonna study English", as you'll freak out about how much there is to be done, and do nothing at all. Or at least that's what I do/did. If you have a defined plan it's a lot easier to do, then you get the satisfaction of knowing that that little chunk is covered, too. Stuff like.. "Learn <whatever text you're doing> quotes" or "learn french revolution" (ah jaysus I spent so long revising that damn thing and it didn't even come up... but I'm sure the experience enriched my life.)

Also, don't stress about the exams too much. Obviously, get your work done, keep up in class and all, but worrying about them is basically shooting yourself in the foot. Going into an exam nervous is pretty counterproductive. Anyway, by the time the actual exams come around, you'll be so well prepared it'll be a relief to be seeing the end of exam papers. :P (For a couple of years anyway...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭CiaraBelle

Ok, first, never panic. Its the JC and yes, its important, but its not the be all and end all. Second, if you put a good amount of work in you will do well, so try your best to study in the months coming up to it and not just the night before!

Write notes! You'll probably throw them away after but trust me its the only way to remember subjects like history. And use exam papers a lot, they'll get you used to the kind of question you'll have in the exam.

I dont know if this applies to you, but our history teacher taught us NOTHING, so if you have to learn it all in 3rd year (like me) start now, or you'll end up cramming it all in and remembering nothing.

And lastly, if you get stressed, just take a deep breath, cos in a year, it really, really wont matter to you anymore!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭jb91

Do all your homework the night you're given it. Start making notes and learning them for an hour a night from the end of April. The Junior Cert isn't too bad. I hardly studied and got 2 As, 6 Bs and 2 Cs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭uniquechic

thanks loads guys!just started to get worried bcoz my brother did it in june and he seemed to be workin hard n all but he only got lyk 1 b 1 c and the rest d's!:O and i deffinetly want to do better than that!so i dont intend to cram i want to do it in chunks so im starting to work now...anway thanks loads!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

It is abosulutely vital that the study you do this year in your first ever state exam has a specific learning outcome from each topic revised. Your study must be totally geared towards knowing a specfic topic off by heart so that you know that topic off by heart so come the exams in 9 months time you will have little revision to do.

You should make damn sure that you do your best in any small test you get in school as the way I like to see it is that every small test you do gears towards the big exam: 10 business studies tests = junior certificate business studies exam. DO NOT take the attitude that the junior cert is the only important one because if you do ****e in your samll tests, chances are your going to make a bollox of the real exam.

DO NOT listen to your friends who say that they arent going to do a tap this year because chances are they are going to swot it like a beaver for the next 9 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Make notes. Dump the books, write your own notes. Books are usually a load of sh*%* !! They contain lots of unnessecary crap tbh. If you write your own notes, you'll remember writing them, and you'll remember them.

Exam papers. Do as many as possible. Night before JC exams redo on or two (without consulting previous answers, thats a waste of time)

Dont go crazy studying, either. I didnt start seriously studing until Late april. 25 minutes study added onto normal homework in a subject can go a long way....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭waheyyy

get REVISE WISE books. no less stress or rapid revision, REVISE WISE. they are a life save. we had the worst history teacher ever for 3 years, and i started from scratch with the history one from mid-april to the exams and got an A. and the same with business, from about march and i got an a in that too. dont be too bothered yet like, the most effective type of study is cramming despite what you might hear from your teachers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

waheyyy wrote:
    get REVISE WISE books. no less stress or rapid revision, REVISE WISE. they are a life save.

I forgot to mention those. The new revisewise ones are very, very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Just do the pass paper books once you can go through them without problems you ll be grand.

Plan your answers for English, Irish History,

The same questions come up every year and you can prepare a A answer for them and be get full marks on the questions.

You dont have to study to all hours of the night you just have to study smart :P use your brain and you ll fly through.

Oh and never go by your mock results

I got a D in english for mocks then got a A for the real thing :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭cas91

The Junior Cert is overrated.. you get your results.. you cry or jump for joy dependin on what you got... and then go out and forget what you get for the night and by the morning after everybody has forgotten... Don't get so worked up over it.. beleive me I did and now i realise what a waste of a year it was studying!!! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭cas91

however if you are studying use books such as revise wise because learning the whole books off such as history, business etc will be a streess out factor in itself because even looking at the books made me feel sick !! Good luck..:D

Advertisement