Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPS..."OOOPS - We Lost Your Package"

Options
  • 17-09-2007 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

So the good people at the Dublin branch of the United Parcel Service have decided that my shiny new camera has disappeared.

It arrived in Dublin from Germany last Wednesday morning, went through an arrival scan, an import scan and an in-transit scan and then vanished off the radar.

I called them on Friday and was told it had been sent out for delivery and I should expect it before 5pm. Needless to say, it never arrived.
    So I called again today and was put through to the investigation department. They said they would open an investigation to find the package. I expect they'll call in Columbo.

I was given a number of reasons as to why a package could go missing, ranging from: the "driver possibly couldn't find the address" (not likely - it was sent to my work address, a well-known company with an address a monkey could find), to "the driver could have been attacked" (I genuinely hope not. But again, a bit unlikely. It's more likely the driver attacked himself).

Has anyone gone through this UPS "investigation" procedure or similar? I know I'm unlikely to see my camera, but I must be entitled to something?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

How the hell does this happen?, its barcoded, scanned and tracked from the supplier and mysteriously goes missing. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,398 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Wonder is the driver taking some pictures of attacking himself with your nice new camera...........................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭marktsang

went missing in transit...hmmm no prizes for guessing who has it now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Dont worry you have two options. The easiest is just to back charge your credit card as you have never received the goods but you may have to wait 30 days from the date it was despatched to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

I got a package recently via UPS and I was looking at their tracking info on the net - it is fairly detailed, so if you have a tracking number and can see that they got it, I'd say it's their responsibility.

The package I was waiting on had my home address on it (as website would only accept credit card address) and I was at work when they attempted to deliver, so I got a note in the door. I phoned up UPS and changed delivery address to work address no problem. When I check the tracking information (just out of curiosity) about 10 mins later, I could see the scans for when they got it, when it was despatched, when it was returned to the office after failed delivery, change of address and later I saw a delivery scan and it even had the name of the person that signed for it. So they should defintitely be able to tell you when it was last seen and who was the last person that had it. I think they'd know if the driver had been attacked.......sounds like a bit of a long shot to me!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭roughan

The exact same thing happened to me with DHL and i filed a claim with my Paypal and got my money back
    about 6 weeks later the item arrived !!
    it was in the back of a van under the seats or something !!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭t-hairy

Thanks for the replies guys.
    Unfortunately, I can't go down the credit card/paypal route - I paid via Bank draft. I know - stupid. But, in my defence, it did seem like a good idea at the time...
    I've written an email to UPS to ask them about my position if the parcel is, in fact, lost. They've told me that it is their frankly ridiculous policy to refund the shipper! I've told them the shipper has been paid and shipped the camera. As far as the shipper is concerned, he has fulfilled his part of the contract. Why should he bother to go through a claims procedure on my behalf?
    They responded that they understood my frustration, but that was their policy. Basically, "UPs yours".
    I really hope that the camera is, as roughan says, somewhere in the back of the van. But I think only hope of that happening is that the driver is rumbled and it miraculously reappears.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I think UPS are close to idiots. A company shipped me a package and put Dublin instead of Cork on the label. UPS figured that my suburb of Cork was a remote area and fluthered around with the package for a while befor contacting the company (even though my number was on it). So I got the message to ring UPS and changed the address at lunchtime on a Thursday. The package arived in Cork the following Monday - I expected that it would have come down overnight...what pees me off is that a quick google woud shown that the address was only in Cork...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

t-hairy wrote:
    Thanks for the replies guys.
    Unfortunately, I can't go down the credit card/paypal route - I paid via Bank draft. I know - stupid. But, in my defence, it did seem like a good idea at the time...
    I've written an email to UPS to ask them about my position if the parcel is, in fact, lost. They've told me that it is their frankly ridiculous policy to refund the shipper! I've told them the shipper has been paid and shipped the camera. As far as the shipper is concerned, he has fulfilled his part of the contract. Why should he bother to go through a claims procedure on my behalf?
    They responded that they understood my frustration, but that was their policy. Basically, "UPs yours".
    I really hope that the camera is, as roughan says, somewhere in the back of the van. But I think only hope of that happening is that the driver is rumbled and it miraculously reappears.
    UPS have no contract with you - they are acting on behalf of the seller with regards delivery as, from what I can tell, it was the seller that paid UPS to deliver the package to you (obviously you paid the seller though but that has nothing to do with UPS).

You will have to contact the seller again then as they will be refunded.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

parsi wrote:
    I think UPS are close to idiots. A company shipped me a package and put Dublin instead of Cork on the label. UPS figured that my suburb of Cork was a remote area and fluthered around with the package for a while befor contacting the company (even though my number was on it). So I got the message to ring UPS and changed the address at lunchtime on a Thursday. The package arived in Cork the following Monday - I expected that it would have come down overnight...what pees me off is that a quick google woud shown that the address was only in Cork...

They overnighted a package for me from Germany to Dublin ... and then tracking showed Shannon.

Despite clearly saying Blackrock, Co. Dublin on the label, they decided it was Blackrock in Cork.

Took them longer to get it back to Dublin than from Germany in the first place.

• Advertisement
Advertisement