Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

256MB nVidia® GeForce® 8600M GT

Options
  • 17-09-2007 7:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭

Is this card any good for gaming?

I assume it would play games like HalfLife perfectly?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Nehpets wrote:
    Is this card any good for gaming?

I assume it would play games like HalfLife perfectly?

I assume you mean half life 2. But yes this is good for gaming and will play half life 2 really well (as well as half life 1).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

You assumed correct. Oops and thanks, that's what I wanted to know :)

EDIT: might aswell stick this in here, is a HD 5400rpm significantly worse for gaming than a 7200rpm HD? (This is in a laptop btw)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Nehpets wrote:
    You assumed correct. Oops and thanks, that's what I wanted to know :)

EDIT: might aswell stick this in here, is a HD 5400rpm significantly worse for gaming than a 7200rpm HD? (This is in a laptop btw)

Maybe. It could affect load times but to be honest I haven't noticed anything significant on my laptop.

grand, thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,417 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Sounds like someone is buying a Vostro...

I own one with the same graphics card & HD type... I only have some sports games & driving game but i've been able to play all at full (or nearly full) specs...

• Advertisement

Nehpets wrote:
    grand, thank you!

No bother, enjoy your new laptop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The only annoying that about the Vostros is that the 8600MGT uses DDR2 ram instead of DDR3, which means it's considerably slower. Still a great card mind....and you really can't complain for the price.

It'll play Half Life 2 at max settings no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

On my Vostro I can play the likes of bf2 maxed out. World in Conflict - medium DiRT - medium - Supcom - high, STALKER - medium but I found stalker didnt run as good as it should have, it may be a vista problem.

It would deffo play the likes of fear and HL2 on MAX settings no problem at all.

Btw don't be put off by those mediums. I was well impressed at how well this lappy ran DiRT on medium. That game kills pc's. And it looks fkin fantastic on medium anyways. Its crazy seeing such great graphics coming from a lappy.

hmm I may just install oblivion for the laugh. :cool:

And do you have the 5400 rpm hd?

Nehpets wrote:
    And do you have the 5400 rpm hd?

The speed of the hard drive wouldn't affect the performance of games. It may affect load times though but not by much.

• Advertisement

Ok and last question, XP or Vista?

Nehpets wrote:
    Ok and last question, XP or Vista?

I still haven't made the move to vista yet so I don't know from personal experience but from what I have seen here most people have no problems or very few problems with it. If you do run in to any problems with it, I have no doubt it will be solved fairly quickly on the windows forum here. Given all this I would say go for Vista.

Advertisement