Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Substitute teaching

Options
  • 17-09-2007 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi,

I'm starting subbing tomorrow in secondary school. I'm going to be covering teaching English as a foreign language to adults (which I have no experience of) as well as English to 5th and 6th years and a bit of supervising for other subjects. This is my first experience of teaching and I have no idea how to start and so would be grateful if anyone out there could give me advice on how to structure a class, how to break the ice and to ensure that the 5th and 6th years don't take me as a complete pushover-thats what I remember substitutes being perceived as when i was at school :(

Thanks a million

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,147 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Anyone who gives you grief tomorrow, get their name and keep them in for detention. They will more than likely try their luck to see what they can get away with.

Do not be reluctant to call in the help of 'regular' teachers if you suspect the kids are doing things like giving you false names - always fun with a newbie - but in general try to deal with minor disciplinary matters yourself. For serious issues always call in a senior 'regular' teacher.

The kids will know you're new to the school but will have no idea you're new to teaching. Even if you're quite young, it makes no difference as all teachers are 'old' to them.

It may be a little late now, but consult with other teachers on the staff to check that what you intend to do with the class is neither pitched too high nor too low for their ability level. If the school is organised, there should be schemes of work available so you can check what was done last week/term.

It's better have too much material with you for a class than too little.

Good luck - wait til you see how tired you will be after tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

spurious wrote:
    The kids will know you're new to the school but will have no idea you're new to teaching. Even if you're quite young, it makes no difference as all teachers are 'old' to them.

5th and 6th years! Are you kidding? :)

OP, with the older students you should be okay. Hopefully. ;) How long are you going to have these groups for? Might be worth looking at past exam papers with them - you can establish what sort of level they're at, identify areas that you might focus on in your next class, and make your classes obviously directly relevant to them by tying it to the ol' Leaving Cert.

Go in mean and then ease up on them if they deserve it. It's easier to get them to start liking you after a while than it is to get them to start respecting you after a wishy-washy start.

Good luck!

Advertisement