Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buying a Laptop, what about VAT??

Options
  • 17-09-2007 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

Hi;

I have a friend in another country that would buy for me a laptop and send it to me by UPS

Am I going to pay VAT on that??

Regards

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

mmalaka wrote:
    Hi;

I have a friend in another country that would buy for me a laptop and send it to me by UPS

Regards

Depends on where "another country" is, if inside the EU no, if outside the EU yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭mmalaka

it is outside EU...

He would send that as a gift..

I thought that there is not VAT on gifts!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

He would send that as a gift..

I thought that there is not VAT on gifts!!

Thats a complete fantasy ...or an urban legend , not sure which , but its not true ,

Its bad enough if you get caught in customs , you'll pay 21% plus shippers handling fee for bailing it out of customs for you , but if you put gift or a false value , thats blatant tax evasion and you can add a nice big fine on top as well!

Bad as it would be for you having to pay the extra money , its worse for the shipper , getting caught doing that more than once can lead to serious serious trouble!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭lynchie

There is no vat on gifts below €45 imported from outside the EU

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

A decent laptop worth less than €45 would be quite a find ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

mmalaka wrote:
    Hi;

Regards
    They will more than likely hold onto it in customs until you pay the tax or explain why you don't have to. Your best bet is if someone brings it home for you.

Advertisement