Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keeping up German

Options
  • 17-09-2007 12:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭

Next week, I will be in UCC studying Mathematical Sciences. Unfortunately, I can't choose German as one of my optional subjects.
    So my question is is there any way possible that I could keep up learning German(I know there is a German Society there but I'm hardly what you would call fluent in German, I know I have a certain knowledge because I've written in this Forum auf Deutsch before, and when I think of a German society, I think of a place where there will be people who are native German speakers, or else people of German origin etc for whom German to them is like English to us Irish people, and plus there will be people presumabley there who will be studying German for their degree). I don't want to be able to talk about the poems Kafka wrote or about Goethe, I just simply want to be able to talk about normal everyday topics in a reasonable fluency of German or to be able to 'get by' if I'm ever in Germany/Austria etc.

So, any suggestions? Is my best bet the UCC German society?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Your best bet is definitely the UCC German Society. Just try reading German books the odd time and using German websites like http://www.deutsche-welle.de. I'm sure the UCC library has a fair few German books. But definitely join the German society, there'll probably be a lot of people there in the same boat as you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Sorry it took me so long to say it but thanks for the suggestion, I did join in the end, and I'm delighted, there were indeed plenty in the same boat, and of course as per the norm all the Germans are only too keen to speak English to you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭foxhound

can anyone join these societies or do you have to a student there
    Or does anyone know of any other groups
    I am learning German at the moment and have a tandem partner here but well I want to get as much practice as possible.
    I am not in a position at the moment to fully join a group as my German isn't good enough but later on I would very much consider it

Advertisement